Hayward Superpump 2-speed 230V 1HP wiring help

Mar 29, 2011
I am replacing a 3/4 HP single speed HSP with a 1 HP Hayward 2-speed Super Pump. The motor is an A.O. Smith Century 2-speed 1081 Pool and Spa duty (SP1607Z2MSC). The wiring diagram on the motor is not very user friendly and would appreciate help from this forum.

The pump motor has a toggle switch on the back. There is a yellow wire from the switch to L2 and a black wire to L3/4.
L1 has no switch wires to it on the front panel view. My question is which lugs to tie down my 2 230V hot wires ?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

It is extremely tiny and did not transfer well in a photo I just took. I just took a magnifying glass to it and can now see that the yellow switch wire goes to L2, the black switch wire goes to L3/4. The L1 from the power source shows lug 1 and L2 from power source shows L3/4. I looked at the AO Smith site for some of their wiring diagrams and it is confusing as it shows 2 line source feeds plus a common ( not ground). The common may be internal to the motor as the switch has a white lead that does not come to the "face" of the external connections but goes back into the motor area somewhere.

Maybe I'm over thinking this thing.

Pump manuals never contain wiring diagrams. The motors are interchangeable and the pump manufacturers want to leave themselves the flexibility to switch motors without issuing a new manual. You should always go by the diagram on the motor.

In order to be accurate we're gonna need to see the nameplate data and the wiring diagram. In general L1 is hot all the time so it hooks to one of the power leads. The other power lead hooks to the center lug on the switch.

I took another stab at the photo and this one is o.k. Hope this posts where you can see it. The photo is on my Picasa Web upload page : https://picasaweb.google.com/103152...key=Gv1sRgCO2AyK3OlMKN9QE#5605882299255532738
001.JPG

I hate to dig up antique threads, but I have exactly the same motor and exactly the same problem. This is the closest thread I can find to my exact equipment. How is it wired for two speed operation without the switch? Many of the online manuals don't seem to have switched motors like this, even though I know it's a common motor.

You bring in your wiring to the Line 1 and Line 2 lugs and the ground lug for grounding. The switch takes the voltage and transfers it appropriately for high or low speed. If a timer is needed you may want to invest in a two speed timer, there are many on the market. Intermatic is one.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I hate to bring up old threads as well but i have the same. i have a two speed Hayward Century Pump and a timer and cant figure which to connect to
currently replacing an AO Smith c48k2n141 pump. Dual Speed, 230 Volts. It is connected to a timer and then a switch for total on and off. I replaced that pump with the following: Century SP1607Z2MSC. i am trying to figure out the wiring if anyone can help out. Based on what is coming off the timer and the old Pump, it looks like Yellow is high, Blue is Low (both Load lines) and Black is common ? I am just not sure, and coming off the timer and how to wire the wires to the new pump based on wire diagram. The new pump has a 1, 2 , 3, 4 and the yellow and black come off the switch on back of pump. Any help would be appreciated. Company I bought the pump from said they would not install b/c they did not install my pool I attached pics below: ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED !
1621080542503.png1621080550067.png1621080560525.png1621080570998.png

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.