Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hayward Superpump 2-speed 230V 1HP wiring help

1. Back To Top    #1

Hayward Superpump 2-speed 230V 1HP wiring help

I am replacing a 3/4 HP single speed HSP with a 1 HP Hayward 2-speed Super Pump. The motor is an A.O. Smith Century 2-speed 1081 Pool and Spa duty (SP1607Z2MSC). The wiring diagram on the motor is not very user friendly and would appreciate help from this forum.

The pump motor has a toggle switch on the back. There is a yellow wire from the switch to L2 and a black wire to L3/4.
    L1 has no switch wires to it on the front panel view. My question is which lugs to tie down my 2 230V hot wires ?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
    15,000 gal in-ground plaster Pool w/spa (2007); Goldline Aqua Logic AQL-PS-8 control w/Aqua Cell 15 Salt Water Chlorination (SWCG); Hayward TriStar 1HP (1.85 SF) main / 1.5HP (1.60 SF) spa pumps; Hayward Swimclear cart filter C4025; Polaris 280 cleaner.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hayward Superpump 2-speed 230V 1HP wiring help

Welcome to TFP!

If you could post a picture of the wiring diagram on the pump it would help us explain things more easily.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

It is extremely tiny and did not transfer well in a photo I just took. I just took a magnifying glass to it and can now see that the yellow switch wire goes to L2, the black switch wire goes to L3/4. The L1 from the power source shows lug 1 and L2 from power source shows L3/4. I looked at the AO Smith site for some of their wiring diagrams and it is confusing as it shows 2 line source feeds plus a common ( not ground). The common may be internal to the motor as the switch has a white lead that does not come to the "face" of the external connections but goes back into the motor area somewhere.

Maybe I'm over thinking this thing.
    15,000 gal in-ground plaster Pool w/spa (2007); Goldline Aqua Logic AQL-PS-8 control w/Aqua Cell 15 Salt Water Chlorination (SWCG); Hayward TriStar 1HP (1.85 SF) main / 1.5HP (1.60 SF) spa pumps; Hayward Swimclear cart filter C4025; Polaris 280 cleaner.

4. Back To Top    #4

Haywards website has the manual for your pump if its the original motor that comes on that unit. It contains all the wiring diagrams.
    http://www.hayward-pool.com/prd/In-G...502_-1___I.htm
    16 x 32 Grecian Vinyl. Salt-Aqua Plus PS-4, Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter, Hayward Ecostar SP34000vsp, Gulfstream HE-125-T-A Heat/Cool heat Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

Pump manuals never contain wiring diagrams. The motors are interchangeable and the pump manufacturers want to leave themselves the flexibility to switch motors without issuing a new manual. You should always go by the diagram on the motor.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank you for the correction Jason.
    16 x 32 Grecian Vinyl. Salt-Aqua Plus PS-4, Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter, Hayward Ecostar SP34000vsp, Gulfstream HE-125-T-A Heat/Cool heat Pump

7. Back To Top    #7

In order to be accurate we're gonna need to see the nameplate data and the wiring diagram. In general L1 is hot all the time so it hooks to one of the power leads. The other power lead hooks to the center lug on the switch.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

I took another stab at the photo and this one is o.k. Hope this posts where you can see it. The photo is on my Picasa Web upload page : https://picasaweb.google.com/1031521...82299255532738

9. Back To Top    #9

I hate to dig up antique threads, but I have exactly the same motor and exactly the same problem. This is the closest thread I can find to my exact equipment. How is it wired for two speed operation without the switch? Many of the online manuals don't seem to have switched motors like this, even though I know it's a common motor.

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

You bring in your wiring to the Line 1 and Line 2 lugs and the ground lug for grounding. The switch takes the voltage and transfers it appropriately for high or low speed. If a timer is needed you may want to invest in a two speed timer, there are many on the market. Intermatic is one.
    Hayward Pool Tech
    80+ Years of Technologically Advanced Pool Product Manufacturing
    poolside@haywardnet.com