Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need quick advice on pool coping/tile issue

1. Back To Top    #1

Need quick advice on pool coping/tile issue

Hello all I am using a natural stone for my coping and they are not all the same thickness. Should I keep them level on the top and make up the difference in the grout line or leave them uneven on the top and grind/taper the edges where they meet each other and the paver deck? I am leaning toward keeping the top level, and adjusting the grout line between the tile and bottom of coping. What do you all think would look the best? Thanks for the quick responses!
    38x14.5 free form, Pebble Sheen Aqua Blue, reef step, 21,000 gallons, 6",12", and 18" raised bond beams. Raised spa with cascading water feature. Thin Stone "Desert Gold" ledge stone Veneer with matching coping and tile. 400K Master Temp, Pentaire DE filter, 1 4x160 and 1 2hp wisperflo. Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Easy Touch 8 controller with wireless remote and is4 spa remote. Deep heat and plumbed for solar and future water fall.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need quick advice on pool coping/tile issue

It would really help if you could get stones that were all the same thickness. If that's not possible, then I would make the top level.

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW
    It would really help if you could get stones that were all the same thickness. If that's not possible, then I would make the top level.
    x2
    17,000 gal, IG Gunite Diamond Brite plaster Kidneybean,w/7x11 tanning ledge& 3x5 swimout bench,244T 300lb Hayward Pro high rate sand filter(63 GPM) , Hayward 1Hp Super Pump w/3/4 hp booster pump, Polaris 280, Laars Lite 2 175k N/G Heater, Tf-100, Speed stir

4. Back To Top    #4

I was hoping they would all be close, but I guess that why they are natural...
    38x14.5 free form, Pebble Sheen Aqua Blue, reef step, 21,000 gallons, 6",12", and 18" raised bond beams. Raised spa with cascading water feature. Thin Stone "Desert Gold" ledge stone Veneer with matching coping and tile. 400K Master Temp, Pentaire DE filter, 1 4x160 and 1 2hp wisperflo. Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Easy Touch 8 controller with wireless remote and is4 spa remote. Deep heat and plumbed for solar and future water fall.

5. Back To Top    #5

Top level.
    18' x 36' saltwater inground vinyl pool

6. Back To Top    #6

You won't see much of a change on the bottom when you make them level on the top. You may see it, but noone else will. I used bluestone with different thicknesses on my hot tub and when you look below, it's obvious, but noone else but me notices. They all enjoy the hot tub instead.
    18 x 36 Inground Gunnite, White Plaster 21K gallon
    18" raised spa, 8' Diameter (620 gallon)
    Triton II Sand filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG
    Pentair Pump, Max-E-Therm 400 BTU
    Lamotte ColorQ PRO 7-Plus test kit
    TFT-100 test kit