Jun 14, 2010
Piedmont of NC
Ok, I finally got the pool bottom done, new liner in, and filled a couple days ago. The water had a greenish hue to it straight off the truck. No worries, went straight into getting water balanced using the BBB method, here's the results from day one to today. Wondering what's going on with my CYA....added a gallon of liquid stabilizer (per 10000 gallons) My pool gets full sun all day....any recommendations or things I should be doing differently?

5/9/11 - 7pm, water temp-70, FC-0, CC-0, TC-0, PH-7.2, TA-40, CYA-35,
added; 100oz bleach, 130 oz baking soda, 30oz borax

5/10/11 - 7am, water temp-72, FC-4.5, CC-0, TC-4.5, PH-8.2, TA-90, CYA-40
added 30 oz chlorine and 3-3" tri-chlor pucks to floater (trying to get CYA up a bit more while chlorinating)

5/11/11 - 8am, water temp-74, FC-2.5, CC-0, TC-2.5, PH-8.0, TA-80, CYA-20
added 83oz chlorine, 47oz baking soda

How long until things stabilize, like my CYA? My green was gone by the next morning after being filled, and my water is sparkling clean.......or so it appears!

JasonLion said:
The standard CYA test is +-15, so all of those results are consistent with each other within the precision of the test. The other CYA tests are worse than that.

Thanks JL....is it normal for my CYA to drop 20ppm in 24 hours,? I understand that it can fluctuate the first week, so should I just be more worried about monitoring my PH, and TC? I don't check my CH, because I'm under the impression it's just not that important with a vinyl liner. I guess by your reply, things look normal to you and I shouldn't be worried. I use the TF-100 test kit from Duraleigh, if that matters.

I'm saying that the CYA level didn't drop. The CYA level was probably the same on all three tests. The CYA test just isn't precise enough, it gives you a different answer every time even when the CYA level hasn't changed. There are ways that CYA could have gone down, a leak for example, but it is much more likely that the test is just giving you inconsistent results, which is common.

Liquid stabilizer only takes a couple of hours to mix in. It is the solid/granular stuff that can take up to a week to dissolve.

Where are you conducting the CYA test? It is best if the lighting conditions are consistent. For example, reading the test in outside with bright sunlight at your back will yield a different result than reading the test on a cloudy day or using indoor lighting. Next time you test CYA, read it outside with the sun at your back, then take the same sample and read it indoors and you will see what I mean.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.