Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What Now?!

1. Back To Top    #1

What Now?!

Ok, I finally got the pool bottom done, new liner in, and filled a couple days ago. The water had a greenish hue to it straight off the truck. No worries, went straight into getting water balanced using the BBB method, here's the results from day one to today. Wondering what's going on with my CYA....added a gallon of liquid stabilizer (per 10000 gallons) My pool gets full sun all day....any recommendations or things I should be doing differently?

5/9/11 - 7pm, water temp-70, FC-0, CC-0, TC-0, PH-7.2, TA-40, CYA-35,
    added; 100oz bleach, 130 oz baking soda, 30oz borax

5/10/11 - 7am, water temp-72, FC-4.5, CC-0, TC-4.5, PH-8.2, TA-90, CYA-40
    added 30 oz chlorine and 3-3" tri-chlor pucks to floater (trying to get CYA up a bit more while chlorinating)

5/11/11 - 8am, water temp-74, FC-2.5, CC-0, TC-2.5, PH-8.0, TA-80, CYA-20
    added 83oz chlorine, 47oz baking soda

How long until things stabilize, like my CYA? My green was gone by the next morning after being filled, and my water is sparkling clean.......or so it appears!
    10,000 Gallon 12x26 EZ Panel, Vinyl Liner, 1 1/2 HP Hayward Power Flo LX Pump (70 GPM), SM2300T Hayward Sand Filter, BBB Method....nuff said!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What Now?!

The standard CYA test is +-15, so all of those results are consistent with each other within the precision of the test. The other CYA tests are worse than that.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    The standard CYA test is +-15, so all of those results are consistent with each other within the precision of the test. The other CYA tests are worse than that.

Thanks JL....is it normal for my CYA to drop 20ppm in 24 hours,? I understand that it can fluctuate the first week, so should I just be more worried about monitoring my PH, and TC? I don't check my CH, because I'm under the impression it's just not that important with a vinyl liner. I guess by your reply, things look normal to you and I shouldn't be worried. I use the TF-100 test kit from Duraleigh, if that matters.
    10,000 Gallon 12x26 EZ Panel, Vinyl Liner, 1 1/2 HP Hayward Power Flo LX Pump (70 GPM), SM2300T Hayward Sand Filter, BBB Method....nuff said!

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm saying that the CYA level didn't drop. The CYA level was probably the same on all three tests. The CYA test just isn't precise enough, it gives you a different answer every time even when the CYA level hasn't changed. There are ways that CYA could have gone down, a leak for example, but it is much more likely that the test is just giving you inconsistent results, which is common.

Liquid stabilizer only takes a couple of hours to mix in. It is the solid/granular stuff that can take up to a week to dissolve.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

AH HA!!! I know it's a subjective test, but all last year it always tested within 5ppm. I'll keep an eye on it the next few days, and hopefully I'll get it dialed in again. Thanks for clearing that up for me and your help, have a wonderful week!

6. Back To Top    #6

Where are you conducting the CYA test? It is best if the lighting conditions are consistent. For example, reading the test in outside with bright sunlight at your back will yield a different result than reading the test on a cloudy day or using indoor lighting. Next time you test CYA, read it outside with the sun at your back, then take the same sample and read it indoors and you will see what I mean.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Conducting it poolside, in varying daylight. Sometimes it's sunny outside, sometimes it's not! =/

8. Back To Top    #8

but as pointed out, CYA test itself is variable. If you assume your level was actually 30, all the tests are in the accuracy of the test...
    24ft x 52in AGP 18000 gal
    sand filter, 200#,1.5 hp single speed pump
    Wood deck (still in progress...)