Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Please help estimate pool size

1. Back To Top    #1

Please help estimate pool size

I am ussually pretty good with numbers, but this one has me bothered. I have a 18x36 humpback kidney IG pool with a 6' deep end. I have read a couple different estimates on capacity that range from 12,000 to 15,500. Now I figure this year I would try to nail it down. Before adding any salt it was 1720ppm, then I added 400lbs, it is now ay 4520, measure by salt test strips. I know there are not precicse, but it should get me closer than I am now.

Could any one help me and explain the fourmula that could estimate my pool capacity, thanks
    17,000 gallon IG Humpback Kidney
    333k Sta-Rite Max-e-therm Heater
    Sta-Rite Modular Filter
    Intellichlor IC-40
    Awesome Tiki Bar!!!!!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Please help estimate pool size

So pretend it's 12,000 gallons. Go to poolcalculator.com and plug in pool size of 12000, start salt 1720, and make goal 4520. If the amount it says to add is not 400 lbs, mess around with the pool size until it is at or near 400 lbs. You may need to do your chemicals a few times like this until you get it just right, but this method is how I got my pool size accurate, at least for the pool calculator.

Of course if the pool size is way out of line, then something was missed along the way.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Mine is 16x32 oval 4 ft. deep flat bottom and is just over 12k gallons. Yours is more for sure. Should be closer to 15 easy. But play with the chemical levels and see what they produce. Don' overshoot to begin with though.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

Man your a fast typer, that is just where i came from.

I did the exact thing you said, I started with 1720, and ended with 4520, it is telling me 17,000 gallons, does this sound correct?
    17,000 gallon IG Humpback Kidney
    333k Sta-Rite Max-e-therm Heater
    Sta-Rite Modular Filter
    Intellichlor IC-40
    Awesome Tiki Bar!!!!!

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes, your salt test says 17,000 gallons. But keep in mind that using salt to measure the pool size is +-4,000 gallons because the salt tests are not very precise.

The best way to refine an estimate is to use a large number of chemical additions over time and watch for trends of being either consistently high or consistently low.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

What we all said And like stated, make sure you undershoot for a while until you get it nailed, it's a whole lot easier to add more chemical than it is to remove it, cheaper too!
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

7. Back To Top    #7

Here is an older but interesting thread discussing methods of estimating pool size http://www.troublefreepool.com/estim...me-t11772.html
    19,600 gal, Vinyl, Grecian L, StaRite Dura-Glas 1 HP pump, 3/4hp booster, Pentair Clean and Clear 420 Cartridge filter
    The Pool Cleaner 4x, PoolSkim

8. Back To Top    #8

Try and get an accurate sketch - to scale - of the surface area, then break it up into sections.

Remember - Length X Width X Depth = Volume. (Or Surface Area X Depth = Vol.)

Here's how I did it:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    20,125 gal. (2,690.6 c.f.) In-Ground / Concrete (Gunite) / Pentair Tagelus TA-60-60D Sand Filter / Pentair Whisper Flo Pump Model WF-24 @ 1HP / Hayward Veri-Flo Valve Model 710 / Taylor FAS-DPD K-2006 test kit / Pool School student