Boric Acid - The one they sell for pest control.

Jun 20, 2009
Middle Tennessee
I have been reading through the posts and and I am thinking that you can use regular boric acid in the place of Borax/MA. My question is this.... They have the bottles of Boric Acid powder used to kill bugs at my local Dollar Store. They have the pointy top on them for application that resemble ketchup and mustard bottles. It says it is 100% Boric Acid on the contents part of the label. They don't carry Borax. Is this a reasonable substitute and if so, how exactly should I use it? Also, would the amounts needed correspond with the amounts recommended by the pool calculator of Borax? Thanks for any help:)

Yes, 100% boric acid is what you want. You can just spread it across the surface of the pool. It will lower the PH just a little, and is otherwise very easy to use.

The Pool Calculator has a setting for boric acid. The quantities will be different then they are for borax, though not way different.

You can also buy it on the Internet. In large quantities, mail order is probably a better deal, around $2/lb.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.