How much bleach?

phatocaster

LifeTime Supporter
May 9, 2011
Wilmington, N.C.
I tried to do a search and couldn't find any info. My question is, On the average how much bleach are you using on a weekly basis? I'm trying to get a handle on the BBB method and need a starting point. I took a sample to the pool store and I am all set for now. I know there is no exact rule but can someone give me a estimate of what I should start off with as far a bleach, baking soda and borax are concerned? Also, does anyone have any idea where I can get the higher % bleach at? Thanks alot for any help.

If pool is in full sun and has any bather load...........I'd plan on a gallon a day in the summer. Lot of factors involved though, CYA level and such. Some pool supply stores carry the 12% stuff some don't. Don't buy any baking soda or borax until
you have a need for them.

Thanks, It is in direct sunlight all day but the bather load is light. Maybe 1 day a week. And thats usually my carcass floating around. So on the average we are looking at $15 bucks a week with good water. Right? Also, I am going to install a timer tomorrow. How many hours should I run my pump each day and what is the best time to run it?

Typical chlorine consumption in mid-summer averages around 2 ppm. In 14,000 gallons that is about 7 cups of chlorine a day. So a 182 oz jug will last about three days. If you shop carefully that could easily be less than $10 a week.

The ideal pump run time is different for every pool. It all depends on the relative size of your pump and your pool and how many people are typically swimming. There is an article in Pool School on How to Determine Pump Run Time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.