Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How many laterals in Sand Dollar SD-80

1. Back To Top    #1

How many laterals in Sand Dollar SD-80

Title says it all. I'm getting sand in the pool and after research feel replacing the laterals is the best solution. I do not know how many are in the filter. Also I have thought about buying an entirely new SD-80 due to the fact the filter is very old, maybe 25-30 years. Any ideas, thanks.
    Approx 74,000 liter inground vinyl pool 12x32, laser 225 sand filter, Hayward 2 speed pump + old pool heater.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How many laterals in Sand Dollar SD-80

My Triton II was installed in 89. I decided to just go ahead and put a new Triton II in place since I had no idea how brittle all the inner workings would be. I feel it was worth the expense to go ahead and do new. I would have done all new sand and such either way, so it wasn't really THAT bad compared to all the parts I'd have to buy and labor I'd be doing to replace all the o-rings, laterals, etc. then hope something's still not broken.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieH
    My Triton II was installed in 89. I decided to just go ahead and put a new Triton II in place since I had no idea how brittle all the inner workings would be. I feel it was worth the expense to go ahead and do new. I would have done all new sand and such either way, so it wasn't really THAT bad compared to all the parts I'd have to buy and labor I'd be doing to replace all the o-rings, laterals, etc. then hope something's still not broken.
    So I can get a new Sand Dollar SD-80 for about $400. After thinking about it for a while I'm pretty sure I will just replace the entire freaking filter. I replaced the pump just a few months ago and feel that after this I will have replaced all the major items, minus the liner. Any thoughts on the price or my approach?
    Approx 74,000 liter inground vinyl pool 12x32, laser 225 sand filter, Hayward 2 speed pump + old pool heater.

4. Back To Top    #4

You might compare price at http://www.poolplaza.com/ just to make sure the price you are looking at is in line. Since I replaced mine with pretty much the same filter, changing it was a piece of cake. The hardest part for me was digging and hauling off what was 600 lbs dry sand, more when it was wet. It honestly wasn't as bad as it sounds though

I figured my old filter got its money's worth, I can't imagine changing the parts in the filter I got rid of due to the access hole being so small. The newer ones have a MUCH larger hole in top, a better sand drain, etc. So for me it was worth the $800 expense.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieH
    You might compare price at http://www.poolplaza.com/ just to make sure the price you are looking at is in line. Since I replaced mine with pretty much the same filter, changing it was a piece of cake. The hardest part for me was digging and hauling off what was 600 lbs dry sand, more when it was wet. It honestly wasn't as bad as it sounds though

I figured my old filter got its money's worth, I can't imagine changing the parts in the filter I got rid of due to the access hole being so small. The newer ones have a MUCH larger hole in top, a better sand drain, etc. So for me it was worth the $800 expense.
    Thanks for the link. I have researched the filter I want and the price the local store up the street is charging combined with a 10% discount is very much in line with online prices. You have me convinced that the old one got its money worth as well and its time to "invest" in the pool once again. I noticed you have a side mount filter, what is the advantage to that setup? Thanks again, you have been very helpful.