Question about safety covers

jackty

Jan 18, 2011
West Tennessee
We are researching and hoping to build a pool early next year. We have 2 small children, so it is important to me that we have a safety cover. I think if we get an automatic one that we will be more likely to use it. So with that in mind, am I stuck getting a basic rectangled shaped pool (we are looking at gunite)? I've only seen these types of covers on the rectangle shaped pools, but didn't know if I was missing something. Some general questions I also have are 1) ball park price for an automatic safety cover 2) what are the preferred brands/models?

TIA

How about a safety fence instead of a cover. Also the best thing in my opinion in addition to the fence/cover is a swim class specializing in swim survival for kids. My kids went through a program when they were young where they threw them in the pool fully clothed and taught them how to get out/survive. I have seen too many drownings in my day related to young kids not knowing how to swim.

Welcome to TFP!

The track and cover need to be rectangular, but the pool doesn't need to be rectangular. For example, look at this cover which uses a cantilever deck to partially cover up the rectangular cover and make the free form pool look great.

Keep in mind that automatic covers are expensive, and require maintenance. Ongoing costs can average $1000/year, though exact costs are somewhat unpredictable.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.