Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question about safety covers

1. Back To Top    #1

Question about safety covers

We are researching and hoping to build a pool early next year. We have 2 small children, so it is important to me that we have a safety cover. I think if we get an automatic one that we will be more likely to use it. So with that in mind, am I stuck getting a basic rectangled shaped pool (we are looking at gunite)? I've only seen these types of covers on the rectangle shaped pools, but didn't know if I was missing something. Some general questions I also have are 1) ball park price for an automatic safety cover 2) what are the preferred brands/models?

TIA

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Question about safety covers

How about a safety fence instead of a cover. Also the best thing in my opinion in addition to the fence/cover is a swim class specializing in swim survival for kids. My kids went through a program when they were young where they threw them in the pool fully clothed and taught them how to get out/survive. I have seen too many drownings in my day related to young kids not knowing how to swim.
    Approx 11K Gal. 10'X30' Semi free-form IG - 6 ' raised spa w/6 jets - 10' circle sun shelf with 1 bubbler - Waterfall - 3 / 1.5 HP pumps - Polaris 280 Cleaner - 3 Pentair Color LED Intellibrite Lights - Pentair 400K Master Temp - 2 Valve Actuators - 5 Fiberstar Mini Laminars - 1 Fiberstars 2004 Illuminator - 2 Skimmers - 6 Returns - Caribbean Blue Pebble Tech - 600+ sq ft kool decK - Auto Fill - 2 Boston Acoustics VOYA RK5 Outdoor Rock Speakers - 2 TIC Corporation TFS5CN 6.5-Inch 150-Watt Terra-Forms Rock Speakers - Apple Airport Express - 1 Awesome View.

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

The track and cover need to be rectangular, but the pool doesn't need to be rectangular. For example, look at this cover which uses a cantilever deck to partially cover up the rectangular cover and make the free form pool look great.

Keep in mind that automatic covers are expensive, and require maintenance. Ongoing costs can average $1000/year, though exact costs are somewhat unpredictable.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

I vote for the auto cover. Pool fences are a hassle and ugly to the eyes.