I'm nervous about installing a new liner

cmyoch

Jun 21, 2007
Hi all. The swimming season is about to start soon here in Illinois and what I put off last year needs to be done this year, a new liner. I noticed this winter that my water level under the winter cover is now down to 2 feet. There must be a pin hole somewhere because I know rain water and snow can push the pool water out but not this much! Anyways, I'm intimidated to do the job mainly because I've never done this before. How many newbies on this forum replaced their own liner? Am I worring about nothing here? I plan on cutting out the old liner, smoothing the sand out on the floor, checking around the shell, leveling the columns that the PO knocked out of whack when he hastily put the last liner in, and diving in to putting the vinyl in. I guess what I'm looking for here are some words of encouragement and to see what did and did not work for you guys.

Thanks in advance! When I dive into this, I plan on taking pictures of the project as I progress.

Maybe I am missing something, but why not just patch the pinhole? Most pool stores sell patch kits which consist of a scrap bit of liner, and some underwater fast cure adhesive. Locate the leak using food coloring (snorkel mask, or better yet scuba gear (if your properly trained to use it) makes it easier), just go around the pool squeezing out drops of food coloring in likely areas (seems, floor first, around fittings, etc) and watch for it to disappear in a little whirlpool.
If you don't have scuba gear the hardest part can be holding the patch in place until it cures after a couple of minutes, this is more of a problem with pools that have deep ends, alternatively you can have a couple of people taking turns holding their breath and the patch.

Ike

I thought about searching for the leak and patching it. The liner is 9 years old and is probably wearing out. I may just fill the darn thing and see how long it takes for the water level to drop. Plus this will give me time to save up for a nice liner plus research on how to put the darn thing in.

Me and my buddy put our first liner in yesterday in a 21 foot pool. My biggest sugestion would be to get about 20 spring loaded clamps (basically large clothes pins) and also cut up some fabric to use as padding between the clamps and the liners. This is like having 20 extra hands. If you google the shadebuilder he has got great info on installing liners with pictures. Good luck

I replaced mine myself last year..Not Again..I had spot's that need's to be fix'd and I did that..Then the liner was not set center..Had to drain water &go back and move..That just created another problem..Then the wall's have slack in the liner now..Have folded places in the wall ...I also decided to add a little more sand to build up some places that just made more of a mess..Never again.......You will need a lot of help...Good Luck...

We did ours the year before last. Me, hubby, brother-in-law and sister-in-law. I was honestly amazed at how easy it was!!

We added wall foam at the same time.

What I'd do differently next time: 1. Add more sand for cushion and cove. 2. Get some of the lock things folks talk about on her to hold the liner into the rail. Just yesterday, I had to reseat the liner in a couple spots and I'm sure it was due to not getting it in good on install since the previous one lasted six years without pulling out.

I think there are some good articles here on how to do it. Either we got very lucky or my research on how to do it paid off because I was honestly amazed at how easy it went.

Good luck!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.