sand in pool

TimIA

Apr 5, 2011
Iowa
I'm having trouble with my sand filter spitting sand back into the pool. It is a 250 lb waterway filter I believe. Got it new last year and it spit sand back into the pool. Dumped the sand last fall as I figured I would need to replace laterals. Pool store gave me new laterals this spring and we looked over the riser and lateral body and could not find anything that looked wrong. Installed them, filled it up with sand, and now there is sand below each return again in the pool. Any ideas of how the sand is getting into the pool? I'm runing with a 1hp pump.

In my case, my filter was intalled in 89 and had a VERY tiny opening at the top to get the sand in/out, so I bit the bullet and replaced mine. It was explained to me that it could also be other items in the filter being broken or leaking that could cause the sand issue, and given the age of my filter I got a new one.

Did you put new sand in, or reuse the old sand? Did you do a good 5 minute backwash after putting the sand back in?

If you are certain that it is sand, the culprit is most likely going to be a broken lateral inside the filter. This typically does not indicate the need for a new filter, but rather, replacement of the lateral.

So what you are describing feels gritty and rough like sand? Algae being expelled from the returns can look an awful lot like sand.

Definitely sand on the bottom. No question about it. The laterals I took out this spring looked fine. We replaced them anyways with a new set and filled with new sand. Still sand getting back into the pool. Scratching my head. Oh, yes I did backwash after adding new sand and then put it on the rinse setting for another minute or so before returning to filter mode.

When sand is leaking from the filter it is almost always a broken lateral. However, there are a number of other parts in the filter that might be broken, or might not fit together correctly, which could allow sand to escape. For example the laterals might not fit into the hub tightly enough and sand could possibly escape through that joint. Some sand filters have a slip joint on one of the pipes, which can occasionally be a little lose and sand can sometimes get through there. It is also possible for one of the larger pipes to be cracked enough to allow sand through.

Welcome to TFP!!

Please don't take offense, but I gotta ask - when you say "filled it up", you mean that you put in the recommended amount of sand?

Did you add water to the tank before putting in the sand? And did you cover the stand pipe, to prevent sand from getting in there?

That's about all I can think of, please keep us posted :)

The filter I have needs 250 lbs so I put in 5 bags 50 lbs each. I did not add water first but it comes with a cover that goes over the stand pipe so that sand does not go were it should not. I stopped by the pool store and they now think it is definitely in the hub or stand pipe portion. I'm hoping they replace these for me. I think we have ruled out the laterals as the ones I removed looked fine and the new ones I installed looked fine too but still getting sand passed somewhere. I think where the stand pipe goes into the hub is missing some cement. I can't tell for sure but that is about the only place for sand to get by in my best guestimation. They tell me they haven't had any problems with these filters (just me).

The reason for putting the water in the filter before you add the sand is to lessen the impact of the dry sand dropping right on the laterals and cracking one or more of them. If you didn't put the water in then you could have possibly cracked one of the laterals when you poured the sand in on top of them.

waste said:
Welcome to TFP!!

Please don't take offense, but I gotta ask - when you say "filled it up", you mean that you put in the recommended amount of sand?

Did you add water to the tank before putting in the sand? And did you cover the stand pipe, to prevent sand from getting in there?That's about all I can think of, please keep us posted :)

My DH forgot to do this once. Sent a nice pile of sand right back into the pool. But it was a once and done deal. Once all the sand came out of the pipe, it stopped.

What about your internal air bleed? There is usually a pipe/tube (small, like 1/4-1/2" in diameter) that connects to the outlet that has a suction strainer (screen) on it that provides an internal air release. sometimes these screens either break or go missing, and can cause sand bypass.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I dumped all of the sand again and the laterals looked good of course. Took everything back to the pool store and have replacements for all of the guts inside the filter. Gave me more free sand too!! Will be trying again tonight. I'm guessing there is a leak where the riser pipe goes into the hub but just can't see it. The new laterals/hub looks more sturdy to me so hopefully this will be the end of it!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.