Skimmer weir/door sticking

We have a new (installed in late August 2010) pool and opened for the first time this past weekend. Last night I went out to clear out the skimmer basket and thankfully I did because the weir was stuck shut, wedged into the top of the skimmer. So, the pump was running dry for who knows how long (hubby turned on the pump around 4:40 and I went out to clear the skimmer basket at 7 pm).

For the time being, I just removed the door but I'm not sure what to do to solve this problem. It's a Hayward "wide mouth" skimmer. I know the weir is important for water flow, so I can't just go buy any smaller door, right? Any suggestions?

There are several things you can do to free the weir up. If you can figure out exactly where it's sticking you can actually trim the door with a knife. You can also sand the spot down some. You also might look at the skimmer opening to see if there's something protruding into the opening.

Bama Rambler said:
There are several things you can do to free the weir up. If you can figure out exactly where it's sticking you can actually trim the door with a knife. You can also sand the spot down some. You also might look at the skimmer opening to see if there's something protruding into the opening.

Ok, might need to try that. As best as I could tell, it was simply wedged into the top of the skimmer, no debris, protrusion, or anything in the way. I think it might simply be that it's too long but I didn't know if I could just chop it down myself or if that would screw things up :-D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.