Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Opening my pool again

1. Back To Top    #1

Raintree Lake, Lee's Summit, MO

Opening my pool again

Hello All,

Last year I used BBB method the second part of the year and I was happy other than you know the bulky bleach containers. I removed the poolcover yesterday and was able to test the water today.

I have not done anything yet other than testing. The water looks a little green but I can see the deep end. There is much to brush and filter. I am guessing I should do that before balancing it but just wanted to ask before I start.

Here are my measurements:
    FC: 0
    CC: 0
    TC: 0 (When I check wih Taylor kit I see TC but very little. Maybe .5 or so.)
    pH: 8.2-8.4
    T/A: 90
    CH: 170
    CYA: <10 I could still see the black dot when the tube was filled up all the way
    Temp: Did not measure, but must be in low 50s.

I hope I did not forget anything and many thanks in advance.

Alper Sayar
    IG, 18K gal, plaster, DE filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Dallas, TX

Re: Opening my pool again

Time to get all the debris out (if any) and get to shocking sounds like to me!
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD

The first two things are to lower the PH down to around 7.2 to 7.4 and if there is anything solid in the pool to fish it out with a leaf rake.

Then it is time to shock. Start shocking and add some CYA at about the same time. Target CYA around 30 to start with.

Long term, your CH level is a little low. But don't worry about that until the water is clear and sparkling.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Coastalish 'down easter'

I would adjust the pH and add some chlorine ASAP (use the Pool Calculator for dosing).

I'd hold off on adjusting the cya until you're done with cleaning the pool and all the backwashing you'll need to do with a DE filter.

Wishing you well and anxiously awaiting your "IT'S CLEAR" post
    Luv& Luk

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)