Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Translating this Greek

1. Back To Top    #1

Translating this Greek

Ive read a lot of posts on here and the ABC's and I just cant get my brain to wrap around it. LOL Went to the pool store and here is what they said:
    Alkalinity 75
    TC 0.43
    FC 0.40
    cya 8

They said to add 6lb of Alkalinity Icreaser (Yeah baking soda) and then to add 2 lb of shock.
    This just doesnt seem like that much chlorine to add with my levels being so low. They also said dont worry about the cya being 8 as it will go up with tabs. Should I tell them I am starting BBB? LOL What does a pond of shock translate to bleach? (one of the main things I dont get) is 1lb= to 1gal? The more I think about it the more confused I am getting, but I am not ready to give up yet. Thanks for any help!

Also can you recycle bleach containers or are they trash?
    16x36 AG 1 1/2hp dying pump with sand filter

Pool came with house and I am slowly learning the BBB

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: Translating this Greek

It all depends on what the "shock" is. there are several items that they call shock so you can't really tell until you read the label. Your best bet is to use Liquid Shock (Just strong bleach) or regular old bleach and use the pool calc to figure out how much. And remember, shock is a process not a product!

You also need a good test kit of your own.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD

I wouldn't raise TA. TA at 75 is fine when using bleach for chlorine. You want TA higher when using trichlor tablets, which is presumably what the store is assuming.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

San Rafael, CA USA

Quote Originally Posted by ajacob9425
    Also can you recycle bleach containers or are they trash?
    Most bleach containers are recyclable plastic -- look for the number enclosed in a triangle of arrows at the bottom of the bottle. You could also check to see if your local pool store sells chlorinating liquid at a reasonable price and if they reuse the bottles which is better than recycling them. That's what I do with my local pool store that only charges a small deposit for the bottles and milk-carton-like case that is borrowed in the interim.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"