Hi, we opened our pool three weeks ago; the water was quite clear and there were no issues. However, I've recently noticed that the water has an odor when standing nearby; it's an odor of like stale beer or something. I also had this odor last year spring and thought it was the winter algecide, so last fall I didn't put in any algecide; only bleach. I will admit that my chlorine level had fallen below the minimum of 2 ppm because I was caring for my dad in an at-home hospice program . . and now that it is over I'm trying to get my pool back up to snuff. As a reminder, I had pink slime last year, and I believe it never fully goes away. I have no visible signs of either pink slime or green algae.
So, I brought the pool to shock level (13 ppm actually) on Sunday, May 9 evening and in the overnight I lost 1 ppm, for a reading of 12 ppm Monday morning. Yesterday was sunny as is today, Tuesday, May 10 and my present reading is 1 ppm. Now with a cya reading of 30, is this why I lost so much chlorine in 1 1/2 days? We aren't swimming yet and the water is ~62 degrees. Or should I have maintained a shock level for longer?
Here are my stats:
FC = 1
CC = 0
TC = 1
PH = a bit more pink than to be exactly at 7.2
TA = 70
CH = 100
CYA = 30
Not swimming yet; water is around 62 degrees
If you could advise me, I would really appreciate it. Thank you,