Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help - what's going on with my water??

1. Back To Top    #1

Help - what's going on with my water??

Hi, we opened our pool three weeks ago; the water was quite clear and there were no issues. However, I've recently noticed that the water has an odor when standing nearby; it's an odor of like stale beer or something. I also had this odor last year spring and thought it was the winter algecide, so last fall I didn't put in any algecide; only bleach. I will admit that my chlorine level had fallen below the minimum of 2 ppm because I was caring for my dad in an at-home hospice program . . and now that it is over I'm trying to get my pool back up to snuff. As a reminder, I had pink slime last year, and I believe it never fully goes away. I have no visible signs of either pink slime or green algae.

So, I brought the pool to shock level (13 ppm actually) on Sunday, May 9 evening and in the overnight I lost 1 ppm, for a reading of 12 ppm Monday morning. Yesterday was sunny as is today, Tuesday, May 10 and my present reading is 1 ppm. Now with a cya reading of 30, is this why I lost so much chlorine in 1 1/2 days? We aren't swimming yet and the water is ~62 degrees. Or should I have maintained a shock level for longer?

Here are my stats:
    FC = 1
    CC = 0
    TC = 1
    PH = a bit more pink than to be exactly at 7.2
    TA = 70
    CH = 100
    CYA = 30
    Not swimming yet; water is around 62 degrees

If you could advise me, I would really appreciate it. Thank you,
    Jan
    Summer: 19 x 37 Pacific Graphex IG modified oval, aztec marine vinyl liner, 24,000 gal, 3.5 feet to 8 feet, 1 hp Hayward C4025 Swim Clear 4-cartridge filter, 12.5% Liquid Pool Shock for sanitizing, 1 super wide mouth skimmer, 4 returns (2 therapy jets in steps), Hayward Heat Pro heat pump, non-curved pool slide, 6' jump board, 8 ml blue solar cover, TF-100 test kit, had pink algae in 2010 Winter: Hot Springs Vista Spa, 500 gallons.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help - what's going on with my water??

Sounds like you still need to shock. Here is the article in pool school

http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...king_your_pool
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits

3. Back To Top    #3

You need to not only get to shock level, but keep it there until you pass the OCLT (overnight chlorine loss test). That may require several days. You need to test and add chlorine as often as every hour to begin with.

Once you are done shocking you must keep your FC above the min for your CYA at all times. If you have extenuating circumstances that may require you to leave the pool for several days you might want to consider a chlorine injection system or swcg.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Hey Jan

I betcha it's Mr. (or Ms.) Pink again, trying to take hold

Do as Dave (Bama) says and then be sure to keep the minimum FC all summer Knock this mold (slime) out and be sure to keep it out!

Then sit back and enjoy a trouble free pool in the nutmeg state
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you everyone. I was up at midnight which is a miracle for me and added three more bottles of bleach to bring me up to 16 ppm for the overnight, hoping it would keep me at shock level by the morning, and it did - I'm at 15 ppm. I'll continue to keep it up there until the water passes my sniff test . . I have a nose like a beagle dog and what I have now is unacceptable

waste, nice to hear from you and I hope all is great for you! CT is in it's prime right now with the leaves popping out and the flowering trees in full bloom. It's been colder than normal however and I hope we are going to have a good summer for swimming.

I'll post back on my results - thanks again,
    Jan
    Summer: 19 x 37 Pacific Graphex IG modified oval, aztec marine vinyl liner, 24,000 gal, 3.5 feet to 8 feet, 1 hp Hayward C4025 Swim Clear 4-cartridge filter, 12.5% Liquid Pool Shock for sanitizing, 1 super wide mouth skimmer, 4 returns (2 therapy jets in steps), Hayward Heat Pro heat pump, non-curved pool slide, 6' jump board, 8 ml blue solar cover, TF-100 test kit, had pink algae in 2010 Winter: Hot Springs Vista Spa, 500 gallons.

6. Back To Top    #6

Oye . . I hope this will be over soon. Chlorine held overnight, but there's still a smell, although reduced, to the water. I will not back down!!

Jan, aka Pink Queen

7. Back To Top    #7

Be sure you read the label on the bleach you buy. Don't assume it's 6%. I've seen some store brands below 3% that were only a few pennies cheaper than the 6% stuff.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

8. Back To Top    #8

Hi, I'm ready to scream. After having a reading this morning of 17 ppm (no chlorine loss overnight) now four hours later I'm at 8 ppm. Please someone tell me that I'm not putting all this bleach in my pool in vain, and sometimes it takes days for this to work.

@robbie, the bleach is good . . it's Aldi bleach at 99 cents a bottle and two bottles raises my pool by 5 ppm. I had bought Great Value bleach once and the mfr. told me the strength is 2.5% - some Great Value! Thanks for your concern,
    Jan

9. Back To Top    #9

It can take days for sure. It took 5 or 6 days to get mine stable. Luckily I was low on CH so I could use Cal Hypo 73% for mine - it takes a lot of chlorine to get 44,000 gallons to shock level! Honestly, I don't EVER want to shock again! So after finally getting all my algae dead, it took another several days to get rid of the cloudiness. But now it sparkles like a diamond!
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by chessie6
    I will not back down!!
    I like your attitude! That's how you get a perfectly clear pool. Once you're done with this, regular maintenance will be a cake walk.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

11. Back To Top    #11

For info, Aldi Tundra bleach (according to the label on the bottle) is 6%

The pool is sparkling, beautiful, and stinky (well, a little less stinky now):

12. Back To Top    #12

This is turning into a blog . . but I'm posting for the information of anyone who has to take a journey like this themselves. Today the odor in the water has lessened. I brushed last night and then this morning scrubbed the skimmer area. It's weird, but the chlorine level holds overnight then as soon as the sun hits the pool, it drops.

robbie, I don't blame you for never wanting to shock again with 44,000 gallons . .

My bleach consumption continues . . and bear in mind that there were ~15 bottles at the start of this story that aren't in the picture.

13. Back To Top    #13

It's weird, but the chlorine level holds overnight then as soon as the sun hits the pool, it drops.
    That's normal.

14. Back To Top    #14

the sun (UV light, I believe) breaks down the FC...
    That's why we test FC holding overnight instead of during the day
    24ft x 52in AGP 18000 gal
    sand filter, 200#,1.5 hp single speed pump
    Wood deck (still in progress...)

15. Back To Top    #15

Jan, are you sure the cya is 30? It seems like the sunlight is burning up your chlorine

Can you describe the stink? If it's like rotten eggs, there's a chance sulfur has somehow entered the water. (just a WAG on my part that it might be sulfur)
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

16. Back To Top    #16

Hi Ted, the smell is like what I call stale liquor - like walking into a bar where it smells like old stale booze or stale beer - rather sour. I had it last year too at this time and thought it was the winter algecide. Since I don't use algecide anymore I didn't put any in last fall. The only thing other than bleach that went into the pool water this spring after we opened it was the non toxic pink RV pipeline antifreeze we used to protect the plumbing from freezing.

My chlorine levels hold overnight at 15 ppm, then by 10:00-ish a.m. they are down to 8 ppm. During the day in order to keep it above 13 ppm I'm adding 9-12 bottles of bleach a day. I wondered too about the cya - I tested it a couple weeks ago with my TF100 test kit and was sure of my reading; however, I will test it again tomorrow. When we closed the pool last fall, the cya was 40; I figured the current reading of 30 made sense because we always lose some water over the winter. But in the past when I opened, my cya was always zero, so seeing a reading is something new for me. I ordered a fresh set of testing chemicals this morning and will test again when they arrive.

As of tonight, I've made progress with the odor - it has further reduced since this morning. So, next step is to see what tomorrow brings; thank you all for your support!
    Jan

17. Back To Top    #17

... The only thing other than bleach that went into the pool water this spring after we opened it was the non toxic pink RV pipeline antifreeze we used to protect the plumbing from freezing. Jan
    Hmmmmm .... might look into this further.
    20,125 gal. (2,690.6 c.f.) In-Ground / Concrete (Gunite) / Pentair Tagelus TA-60-60D Sand Filter / Pentair Whisper Flo Pump Model WF-24 @ 1HP / Hayward Veri-Flo Valve Model 710 / Taylor FAS-DPD K-2006 test kit / Pool School student

18. Back To Top    #18

Update: If you hear screaming, it's coming from Connecticut. Day 6: overnight chlorine loss 4 ppm. Water still has an odor that's noticeable around the skimmer or when stirred up. I re-checked the cya (original reading posted here was 30) and I got 25; I've put a couple pucks into the auto feeder as a start to raise cya levels. Thought I'd go for getting up to 35 for cya. Water is sparkling clear.

If it's cloudy out, is there still enough strength from the sun to destroy chlorine?

The lowest reading I've ever had in this process is 8 ppm that I've gotten during the day - because this is below shock level, is this why it's taking so long?

I re-checked for combine chlorine - reading is zero.

After all the bleach I've been pouring in my ph is still 7.2 - I would have figured that it would have gone way up by now.

I'm going to work on keeping the chlorine levels higher than 13 - say around 18 or 19 and then if it falls it will still be at shock level. Other than that, I don't know what else to do. I saw a product on the internet that is supposed to break down biofilm but I'm not going to bite, especially since they won't list what it is.

Jan

19. Back To Top    #19

assume you are running pump 24 hr/day ?

20. Back To Top    #20

susa, {{blush}} ok, I'm embarrassed on this one - for the first time I didn't run it last night. But it ran continuously from Tuesday morning to last night before that. Since I had a chlorine loss last night, it proves I need to run the pump.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast