Pool light wiring

May 2, 2010
Central Indiana
I bought a home with an existing pool 2 summers ago. I noticed that out in the pump house, a piece of sealtight has broken and cut partially through the ground wire of the pool light circuit. There is sealtight running from the subpanel to about 4" underground. At that point, there is a male NPT connector beginning the run of 1/2" plastic conduit. The broken sealtight (and wire) is in the sealtight between the palstic conduit and the subpanel.

In lieu of pulling all new wire for the entire circuit, I had planned on installing a watertight PVC 4x4 junction box at the end of the conduit, creating a joint for each of the wires, and running sealtight from the box up to the subpanel.

Can anyone tell me if this meets the NEC for pools? I do not have a copy. Thank you.

douglee25 said:
From what it sounds like, the installation is incorrect from the beginning. Most lights specify a junction box enclosure approximately 18" above grade. At this point the connections are terminated from the sub-panel and the light fixture itself.

See something like this - http://www.h2opoolproducts.com/product_ ... ts_id=2266

Doug

Hi Doug,
Thanks for the response. I may not have described it properly.

The pool side: The light is in a wet niche with a j-box installed approx. 8" above grade (and 18" or so above the level of the pool water) and approx 48" from the pool. From that j-box, there is pvc conduit running underground to the pump house.

The pumphouse side: The conduit changes to sealtight just under the ground and terminates in the subpanel that is installed on a 4x4 post approximately 36" above the ground. The issue is the sealtight into the subpanel. It has broken and nicked the gound wire. So, my question is whether I can replace the conduit/sealtight junction with a plastic j-box.

Thanks again.

douglee25 said:
Can you just run a new line from the junction box which is above ground? Get rid of that junction where the conduit and sealtight connect?

Doug

I can run new wire. I guess I would dig around the conduit in the pump house and cut it and glue an extension on it to get it up to the subpanel. i was just hoping to avoid pulling another 100' pull of 3 wires. I should also mention for the record that the light is low voltage and the wires are actually going to the pool transformer, not directly to the subpanel. Thanks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.