Can I remove the pump basket when vacuuming to waste?

edweather

LifeTime Supporter
May 1, 2010
Kingsland, GA
I'm assuming the answer is no, because I never know what's at the bottom of the pool that I can't see. I was asking because there are some leaves that I'm vaccuming, and I keep having to empty the pump basket. I'm going to try and get whatever leaves I can see with the leaf basket.

You can run the pump without the basket "BUT" I would "NOT" do that if I was vacuuming big particles from the pool. Even though you are bypassing the filter and just going to waste you don't want to create the possablilty of getting anything caught in the pump impeller. Any blockage at the impeller could cause serious damage to the pump or other parts in the system.

:cheers:

Not without clogging the impeller - requiring you to pull the pump apart...

Ironicaly, I was doing a green & clean yesterday... lots of leaves (about 40 gallons of them). And accidentally forgot to put the basket back in. Pump stopped sucking and I look and can't believe I did that. Argh! But with my 1HP "portable" Whisperflo, I'm like a guy in the pit-crew at the Indy 500 - and keep in mind it's only "plumbed" to hoses, making the tear-down much easier...

If you have something catching the debris, why would you remove the basket? I wouldn't risk it. Tear-aparts on the pad are a pain - and sometimes things get through or past the basket...

Don't sweat forgetting it a time or 2 :cool: You'll just have to open the pump and clean that basket. It's easier to empty the skimmer basket than the pump basket :)

I wish you well with the rest of the cleanup and hope you'll soon have a crystal clear pool :cheers:

edweather said:
Because I'm an idiot and forgot to put the skimmer basket in the first time.

Ah... Crime already committed (you left that part out.. :lol: .). If you didn't get anything in the impeller, then no harm no foul...

(and as I admitted to my err yesterday, you're not the only idiot here :party: )

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.