Leveling issue

Hi,

First off, I am glad I found this site it has a wealth of info.

This is my first year setting up a pool for my daughter. The pool is an 18' x 48" round steel frame pool like this one: http://www.intexcorp.com/metal18x48.htm

I am in the process of leveling the ground as I do have a slight slope. The ground is as hard as cement (lots of clay) and is very difficult to grade. I have almost completed taking down the high spots, I have about another days work, and then I will fine tune it over the weekend.

Last night I fine tuned a section probably a quarter of the way around to see what I am up against, and despite efforts it is still off, not by much. The bubble on the level is slightly off centre.

My plan was to grade the soil as best I can and lay 3" of brick sand and then compact with a plate tamper, then place pavers under each of pool frame legs.

I know sand should not be used for leveling the ground, but with such a small variance in the ground being level, would this pose a problem if the compacted sand corrected the level issue?

Cheers

Chris

I did the exact thing you are doing last year! Same amount of sand and pavers! Few things I learned, you dont need to be exact! You want the pavers to be fairly level, within 1 inch, the floor you want SMOOTH, level is not important as long as it's kinda close, these pools can strech quite alot in the bottom.
Last thing is don't use so much sand, 1 inch to get floor smooth and level-ish. With 3 inches I've got a 4-5 foot section of sand that keeps washing out, I'm able to control it now mainly because we don't get much rain. Make sure you pack the sand very well, a light water spray can help pack it harder, if you don't you will get depressions real easy, bottom of mine looks like the moon!

Thanks

I am starting to feel better about the whole thing now. :)

The variance (according to the level) is less than a 1/4" off.

Dale.s - The guy across the street from me has a 24' pool and he suggested the 3" depth of sand, I may go with less, I will decide once the grading is fully complete. If I can get away with less sand the better.

Cheers

The issue with sand levelling is preventing the sand from washing out; I used lime on mine, but sand will be fine as long as you have something in place to keep it from eroding away...
Also, sand makes a fairly smooth finish to reduce wear/tear on pool bottom!

madwil said:
The issue with sand levelling is preventing the sand from washing out; I used lime on mine, but sand will be fine as long as you have something in place to keep it from eroding away...
Also, sand makes a fairly smooth finish to reduce wear/tear on pool bottom!

good point.

I am going to have garden edging around the perimeter. I thought of using landscape timber for a border, however, that was to costly.

Trying to keep my costs to a minimum, my only regret was not renting a sod cutter, doing it by hand was not fun at all. :) I am working on it a little tonight, not to long as I have put in a 12 hour day at work. :sleep:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.