Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Some BBB questions

1. Back To Top    #1

Mickleton, NJ

Some BBB questions

I'm going to add bleach for the first time today. The pool is a little less than a year old and I was using pucks before. My FC is at an 8 right now, I was told I should maintain this b/c cya is at 70. I'm planning on adding 1 1/2 quart of 6%. I read to add it infront of the return letting the pump run for at least 20 min. From this point on will I generally be adding bleach on a daily basis? I know to test water and make adjustments as nessasary but as a general rule will it be a daily thing?
    Currently Pooless

Former Pool:Buster Crabbe resin and steel 30'x15' oval 52" ABG pool Pentair sand dollar filter 1.5 Pentair Dynamo pump13,500 gallons

2. Back To Top    #2
    SW Indiana

Re: Some BBB questions

Yes, unless you use a feeder like the Liquidator.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Central Florida

8,700 gallon IG pool (including 2000 gallon spill-over spa), WetEdge Northshore Tahoe (Satin Matrix) finish, Jandy JXi 260k propane heater, Jandy FloPro 1.5HP 2 speed pump, Jandy CS 150 cartridge filter, TF-100, Borates added, BBB is the way for me!

4. Back To Top    #4

SW Georgia

yes, I test daily and add chlorine daily if needed.
    35K IG Vinyl 20 x 40 self built pool, Hayward Pro Series High-Rate Sand Filter 31" 98gal/min, Hayward TriStar 1.85hp, Hayward 400btu heater, BBB method w/Hypo, Jazz light w/matching fiber optic rope lighting around coping w/syncronized color wheels. Concrete Paver deck.

5. Back To Top    #5

East KY

I do test daily (well most of the time) , but usualy I only need to add bleach every other day. I add enough to get to the max of my range according to the cya chart in Pool School, then let it drift down to the low end before I add. If I have a heavy bather load I usualy have to add more often.

I installed the Liquidator Sunday, so I'm hoping to do less daily dosing this season.
    11400 Gallon AG 22ft
    Hayward Sand Filter
    1 HP Hayward XL Pump
    Liquidator 3/8" upgrade, Hayward Needle Valve
    Useful Links: Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis, Pool School, The Pool Calculator

6. Back To Top    #6

glooucester va

I add 1.4 gal (1 jug) of bleach when I hit the low end (min) FC, which right now holds 3-4 days...
    Test each day at dusk, add if min don't add if above min...
    33ft x 52in AGP (partially buried) 26000 gal
    sand filter, 200#, 2.5 hp 2 speed pump
    Wood deck (still in progress...)

7. Back To Top    #7

San Rafael, CA USA

I add chlorine twice a week, but I have a mostly opaque electric safety cover that keeps chlorine usage down to 1 ppm FC (or a little less) per day in spite of the pool being used for 45-90 minutes every day and temps at 85-90ºF. So I usually go from around 6 ppm FC to 3 ppm FC and back again with 40 ppm CYA.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"