Need advice on my numbers

May 9, 2011
Chicago, Il
The pool was finished in the fall, filled and closed by pool company. The pool company opened it a month ago but it has been cold and rainy in Chicago area. Just trying now to get it dialed in.

Temp - 64
FC - 16.5 Pool company had Intellichlor set to 60%, I just dropped it down to 20% - reading all green
PH - 7.4
TA - 200
CYA - 33

The sides of the pool feels a little rough, looks a bit cloudy, but no smells.

Thanks for any input

Welcome to TFP!

With a SWG you want CYA around 70 to 80.

With TA around 200 you need to keep an eye on the PH, it will tend to go up. Any time PH goes up to 7.8 you shoudl lower it back down to 7.2.

Stabilizer/CYA is only sold at pool stores and the pool departments of some of the big box stores like WalMart, Home Depot, Lowes, and so on. Often the big box stores have better prices, but they are not consistent about having things in stock. Pool stores will always have it.

Thanks. I will get that rolloing tomorrow.

Should I continue with the process to bring down the TA through lowering ph and aeration as described in the posts, while I am bringing th CYA up?

Aslo wondering if the FC will fall with the SWG setting and as the temp rises. My CC is 0.

You will probably want to get going on the entire lowering TA process, but since the water is cold the PH probably won't go up quite as quickly as it otherwise would and you might be able to get away with a more leisurely approach.

As the CYA level comes up you will be able to turn down the SWG percentage. On the other hand as the water gets warmer you will need to turn up the SWG percentage.

Counts as of noon today

Water Temp - 66
FC - 9
PH - 8.1
TA - 219
Hardness - 309
Minerals - 3600
Borates - 11

Intellichlor set to 20%, fountains running all day for aeration

Stabilizer - Pool store says 8.5 pounds, pool calculator said 10lbs, I am thinking 6 lbs to start?

Should I do the stabilizer before adding the muratic acid?

When can the pool be used after adding the stabilizer?

Thanks

Get the PH down right away. Try to keep the PH below 8.0 at all times.

Go ahead and add some stabilizer. You can actually add stabilizer and lower PH in either order, PH is just more important. Using 6 lbs for now is fine. Wait a week, test again, and adjust from there.

You can swim any time except for 30 minutes right during and after adding the acid to lower PH.

Here is an update.

Water temp - 73
FC - 10
CC - 0
pH - 7
TA - 140
CYA - 40
SWG - set at 20%
Pump running 24/7, jets running 16 hours per day

Added 4 gallon of Muratic Acid early evening 5/10
Added 6 lbs stabilizer 5/11 - 6:00 am

Looks like progress but I am along way from being balanced so I am not sure what to do next.

Thanks

That looks much better.

I expect the PH will tend to go up fairly quickly. You can either lower the PH to 7.2 every time it gets up to 7.8; until TA comes down to 70, or if PH rises so quickly that it is annoying, you can do the lowering TA process described in Pool School.

The other thing to watch is where FC settles down with the SWG on 20%. The best thing to do is to wait a couple of days and then start measuring FC in the evenings for several days and watch to see where it settles down. If FC gets too low you will need to turn the SWG percentage up a notch.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Back with some updated numbers. I was out of town for a few days.

FC - 9 (I have never added any chlorine/bleach)
CC - 0
pH - 7.2
TA - 130
CYA - 60 (added two more pounds of stabilizer on week ago)

SWG - running 20% - readings are all good
Pump running 16 hours a day
Water Temp - 77 (have had the heater on sporatically)
Water looks clear, feels good on the skin, sides and bottom or smooth
Temps in my area will in the highs of only 60 degrees and lows of 40 at night for the next 5 days

Thanks

You are looking fairly good.

If you have problems with the PH drifting up, allow the TA to go down by simply lower the PH back to 7.2 every time it gets up to 7.8. If the PH drifts up very quickly you can speed up the process of lowering TA by following the directions on lowering TA in Pool School.

Pentair Intellichlor Issues

The red light has been on in my Intellichlor SWG for 5 days. It indicates low salt so I added 40 lbs two days ago thinking this would help - no help. I turned it off and on and it is still on. The manual says that this indicates low minerals and that when it is Red it is not working. My pool company is not very responsive so I always want to fix things myself

FC - 5
PH - 7.5
CYA - 67
TA - 166
Minerals - 2800

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.