Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Numbers today, leave alone or adjust

1. Back To Top    #1

Numbers today, leave alone or adjust

Here's my numbers for today. I checked because I'm ready to fire up the heater.

FC - 6.5
    CC - 0
    pH - 7.5
    T/A - 70
    CH - 200
    CYA - 60

Target CYA, from what I can tell, should be at least 70. That is where it was about a week ago and I've had minimal water replacement due to rain. Wouldn't think it would be enough to bring the level down that much, but maybe it was. Also, the FC is a bit high. I'm in the process of dialing in my SWG and obviously I'm a bit on the high side at the moment. I've turned off the SWG for now and will probably wait a full day before turning back on.

Should I add the recommended amount of CYA to bring back to 70 before turning the heater on?
    15x32 vinyl liner, 14,400 gal, 1.4hp Centurion pump, 3/4 hp booster pump, Hayward Pro Series S244T Sand Filter, Hayward H200 heater (digital readout)
    Aqua Rite Electronic Chlorine Generator, Hayward Phantom cleaner, TF 100 test kit
    Pool School, Pool Calculator

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Numbers today, leave alone or adjust

You can turn the heater on any time.

Remember that the CYA test is +-15. It won't always give the same reading, even at the same level. So results of 60 and 70 are effectively the same reading.

I would add enough CYA to raise CYA by 15, targeting a CYA of 80, which will then drift down slowly through the season.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Numbers today, leave alone or adjust

Sounds good. Headed out for a backwash and then I'll get the CYA socks going. Looking forward to some time below the surface of the water and not just above looking in.
    15x32 vinyl liner, 14,400 gal, 1.4hp Centurion pump, 3/4 hp booster pump, Hayward Pro Series S244T Sand Filter, Hayward H200 heater (digital readout)
    Aqua Rite Electronic Chlorine Generator, Hayward Phantom cleaner, TF 100 test kit
    Pool School, Pool Calculator