Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Measuring DE

1. Back To Top    #1

Measuring DE

In the beginning, the pool contractor said to use 7 coffee cans of DE [he used a size I had on hand] to load the Nautilus FNS60. The filter decal says use 6 pounds. When I weigh the stuff, I find that it takes about 8.75 cans to get the 6#. Neighbor's pool guru says he consistently uses something like 3 pounds. Substantial difference. I'd like to hear what the cognoscenti have to say!

When I disassemble the filter to clean out, there is always a substantial mass of crappus still in the unit after backflushing. Might this reflect an excess of DE?
    20k gallons/IG-plaster/DE/Autopilot

2. Back To Top    #2

Coastalish 'down easter'

Re: Measuring DE

Welcome to TFP!!

I wrote this a couple years ago to help folks like you Give it a read and see if you have any more questions about this for me and the board
    Luv& Luk

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)