Initial, disturbing TF-100 measurements...

My PB is supposed to balance pool. Still waiting for concrete to finish job. I haven't been home when he and his guys have added chemicals but I got this today:

temp 86
ph >8.2
CYA 0
CH 320
TA 240
Chlorine 0

My salt generator displays red too low salt. They left me a bag of salt to add if light is on tomorrow. They added acid once but pH is still too high. I'm particularly concerned about TA level. Do I have to dump water from pool? The initial fill water had a lot of iron and I was told that by shocking pool several times that the iron was removed. I have no way of measuring iron. Can this be throwing other tests off?

Water looks great but boy am I far away from the recommended levels posted here. What to do?

Just by adjusting the pH down with acid whenever it gets high will lower the TA. Don't worry about the TA worry about the pH and the TA will take care of itself. You really need to get some chlorine in there. The sooner the better. Add enough to get to 3ppm. Then you'll need some CYA in there. I don't know how much of Pool School you've read and understand but keep reading.

Bama Rambler said:
Just by adjusting the pH down with acid whenever it gets high will lower the TA. Don't worry about the TA worry about the pH and the TA will take care of itself. You really need to get some chlorine in there. The sooner the better. Add enough to get to 3ppm. Then you'll need some CYA in there. I don't know how much of Pool School you've read and understand but keep reading.

The TA going down with pH correction was what I was really wondering about. We are adding salt to pool to get SWG running and I will add bleach to get chlorine levels up.

Stabilizer arriving today. I have shocked and will get chlorine level corrected after stabilized.

My pH is reading 8.2 plus with my new kit. I have added more than 3x the acid the pool calculator said is needed to get to 7.6. I'm now adding 6 oz at a time trying to get pH down using 31.45% muriatic acid. Is this the proper procedure? How much more acid should I reasonably expect to add?

The PH test will report any level above 8.2 as if it was 8.2, so you actually level might have been quite high. Also, with TA around 240 it can take a really large amount of acid to change the PH. You have the correct procedure, though you could easily add 16 oz at a time instead of 6 oz as long as TA remains above 200.

With respect to your SWG, make sure you test the water to be in range with your SWG. I tested mine (Intellichlor) several times and was in the optimum range even though my SWG indicated LOW salt. Had to calibrate the SWG to get it to know where I was with the real measurments of salt.

XsAllOverIt said:
With respect to your SWG, make sure you test the water to be in range with your SWG. I tested mine (Intellichlor) several times and was in the optimum range even though my SWG indicated LOW salt. Had to calibrate the SWG to get it to know where I was with the real measurments of salt.

Great advice. Wish I had gotten the salt test strips with my kit...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.