Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Clear Diamond Shaped Solar cover with reel

1. Back To Top    #1

Clear Diamond Shaped Solar cover with reel

Bought a 12mil clear diamond solar cover (the bubbles are diamond shaped as opposed to round). Also bought a Rocky's Easy Roller (used) bought just noticed in a pool catalog that warranties on both the cover and reels are voided with this type of cover. Since I haven't actually tried to roll it up yet (need the attachment kit), can anyone tell me if this actually works? I have a 18x36 in-ground. If it won't work, does anyone suggest cutting the cover in half or thirds to make it easier to manage? Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Clear Diamond Shaped Solar cover with reel

If I remember correctly one of the issues with the diamond covers was the weight because of the way they retain water when they are rolled up.
    Screen enclosed 17K gal 16x30 IG with Diamond Brite finish, elevated 4 jet spa with spill over, Twin dolphin fountain, Hayward Ecostar pump[ Pentair intelliflo VS, Filter Sta rite Posi-Flo PTM 100, Aqua Cal heat pump, Tiger Shark QC robotic cleaner.
    Stenner peristaltic pump model 45MPHP10, 15 gal storage tank. TF 100 with Speed Stir.

3. Back To Top    #3

Yeah, that's what I read, but I was wondering if it does in fact work or should I resell the reel?

4. Back To Top    #4

I had a clear diamond cover. It worked fine, it is just very heavy rolled up because of the way water is trapped in cover. Some reels cannot handle the extra weight.
    Screen enclosed 17K gal 16x30 IG with Diamond Brite finish, elevated 4 jet spa with spill over, Twin dolphin fountain, Hayward Ecostar pump[ Pentair intelliflo VS, Filter Sta rite Posi-Flo PTM 100, Aqua Cal heat pump, Tiger Shark QC robotic cleaner.
    Stenner peristaltic pump model 45MPHP10, 15 gal storage tank. TF 100 with Speed Stir.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by dinman
    Yeah, that's what I read, but I was wondering if it does in fact work or should I resell the reel?
    My advice is to get a different cover if it won't work with the reel. Wrestling a cover that big without a reel will make you leave it off.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

6. Back To Top    #6

Keep the reel most of the clear covers I've had start to delaminate in about 2 years or so. So you can use it on your next cover.