Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 1st test after opening

1. Back To Top    #1

1st test after opening

Completed my first test after opening yesterday. Water was very nice and clear. That is until one end of the cover dip back into
    the pool and deposited some muck that the cover pump couldn't get. that vacuumed out and did a test today. I did
    add three pounds of shock before I thought about testing today. It's been 24 hours since then. No sign of algae. Chlorine generator
    is set at 60%.

Let me know what you think...

FC 5.5
    CC none
    TC 5.5
    ph 7.2
    T/A 70
    CH 470 (did it twice, thought adding 47 drops was excessive)
    CYA 40
    Temp 68
    21,450 gallons from the spec sheet
    Sta-Rite System 3 Cartridge filter model S8M150, Max Flow 125 gpm, Filter area 450 sq ft
    IG 18X37 Grecian shaped vinyl pool, Pentair IntelliChlor IC40 chlorine generator
    Pentair 1.5 hp Challenger pump 130gpm, Pentair 3/4 hp booster pump 95gpm
    Located in Griffin, GA (about 30 miles south of Atlanta)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 1st test after opening

CYA should be in the 60-80 range so the SWG does not have to work too hard to maintain FC. The high CH may be attributed to the powdered shock you added which may have been calcium hypochlorite. Other than that, since CH at 470 is somewhat high, make sure your CH does not go over 7.8 to avoid calcium scaling. Enjoy the pool
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

3. Back To Top    #3
    SWSuburban Chicago, IL

Re: 1st test after opening

Since you had some crud drop in, I would verify the chlorine is holding by an Overnight FC Loss test. be sure the swg is off when you do the test. Your CYA should be at least 60 with an SWG. You can manage the high ch by keeping the PH in the mid 7s. have you tested your fill water to see if its high in CH?
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner