Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SWG having issues with making FC

1. Back To Top    #1

SWG having issues with making FC

I have a Aqua-rite T-15 SWG on my pool. All last year I ran the cell at 15-20% to keep FC around 4-5.

This year after running a few days at 40%, my FC is only around 3-4. The ump runs 20hrs a day with 6 hrs on High speed. I see the bubbles in the water, but I can't get the FC to get higher. I have my solar cover on the pool.

the water is in balance.

FC 3-4
    PH 7.8
    TA 75
    Borates 50
    Salt 4300
    CYA 70

is they cell going bad after 1 yr and a few months? Its clean and all wires seem fine. Again, its making chlorine as I can see the bubbles.
    8,000 Gal, 11 x 26.8ft Shotcrete Pool with "Cool Blue" Diamond Brite by ESSIG Pools with Artistic Pavers Deck
    Goldine AQL-PLUS w/Aqua Pod, Aqua-Rite T-CELL-15 SWG, Pentair WhisperFlo High Performance 1.5HP, 2 speed pump, Pentair IntelliBrite,
    Pentair 100sqft Cartridge Filter, 6 Pool returns, Skimmer and 2 Anti-Vortex Main Drains
    Pool's completed build 2/2010

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SWG having issues with making FC

You should do an overnight FC loss test to see if you have the beginnings of an algae problem.

Also, what is the water temperature? If the water is below 60 degrees the cell might be having problems because of the cold water.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Is your Salt reading form the cell or from a test strip? A strip would be better.

If the salt is in line, another possibility is a sem-supressed algae bloom that might be cured by shocking the pool. Is the water clear?

If in doubt, an Overnight FC Loss Test might be in order.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    You should do an overnight FC loss test to see if you have the beginnings of an algae problem.

Also, what is the water temperature? If the water is below 60 degrees the cell might be having problems because of the cold water.
    The water is 88 degrees and its crystal clear!
    8,000 Gal, 11 x 26.8ft Shotcrete Pool with "Cool Blue" Diamond Brite by ESSIG Pools with Artistic Pavers Deck
    Goldine AQL-PLUS w/Aqua Pod, Aqua-Rite T-CELL-15 SWG, Pentair WhisperFlo High Performance 1.5HP, 2 speed pump, Pentair IntelliBrite,
    Pentair 100sqft Cartridge Filter, 6 Pool returns, Skimmer and 2 Anti-Vortex Main Drains

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Gio
    !#@#%^%^&&~!!!!!!
    TFP Moderator
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT
    Is your Salt reading form the cell or from a test strip? A strip would be better.

If the salt is in line, another possibility is a sem-supressed algae bloom that might be cured by shocking the pool. Is the water clear?

If in doubt, an Overnight FC Loss Test might be in order.
    from the cell. I screwed up the salt test last week. I will test the salt again. I I dumped 80 is the last month or so.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Gio
    !#@#%^%^&&~!!!!!!
    huh?

8. Back To Top    #8

Ok, test strips shows about 4680ppm on the salt

9. Back To Top    #9

[quote=Hurricane Gio]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Hurricane Gio":1vufiiz6
    !#@#%^%^&&~!!!!!!
    huh?[/quote:1vufiiz6]

I think John is lamenting the temperature of his own water in indiana compared to yours in south florida.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

10. Back To Top    #10

[quote=Hurricane Gio]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Hurricane Gio":2fplfrat
    !#@#%^%^&&~!!!!!!
    huh?[/quote:2fplfrat]

I'm jealous! I'm at 68 with the solar cranking! It's been a very cool spring.
    TFP Moderator

11. Back To Top    #11

I'm jealous! I'm at 68 with the solar cranking! It's been a very cool spring.
    LMAO! hey, its Florida! The water will drop to the low 80's without the cover and its too cold to swim

12. Back To Top    #12

It is 91 here in Dallas today, and my water temp is 74. It's all the rain we've had I think! Didn't stop me from getting in the pool this weekend
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

13. Back To Top    #13

We need to clarify your water test results.

If CA=70 is Calcium hardness then we need to know the CYA.
    A low CYA level will reduce chlorine residual and the output of the SWCG will need to be set to a higher level.

PSG
    poolschoolgrad

20x40 free-form IG vinyl, 1hp Hayward superpump, Hayward pro grid DE filter, Raypak heatpump, Goldline Aquarite SWCG, Polaris 280 with booster, and tested using a Taylor K2006.

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by Poolschoolgrad
    We need to clarify your water test results.

If CA=70 is Calcium hardness then we need to know the CYA.
    A low CYA level will reduce chlorine residual and the output of the SWCG will need to be set to a higher level.

PSG
    Sorry, that was CYA

15. Back To Top    #15

Other things to check:

Clean the cell as per the manufacturers recommendations.
    Even minor scalings can reduce chlorine output.

http://www.haywardcanada.com/products/m ... ual345.pdf
    See page 9.

If algae is beginning, set the output to 100% for 48 hours, then back to 40% for 48 hours.
    Please post your results.

Thanks

PSG
    poolschoolgrad

20x40 free-form IG vinyl, 1hp Hayward superpump, Hayward pro grid DE filter, Raypak heatpump, Goldline Aquarite SWCG, Polaris 280 with booster, and tested using a Taylor K2006.