Tested for the 2nd time, what is next?

Jul 23, 2010
Mickleton, NJ
PH= 7.2
FC= 8.5 (down from 27 about 10 days ago)
CC= .25
TC= 8.75
TA= 80 (it was pink, should I have kept adding until the solution was really red?)
CYA=70

I haven't added any chemicals to the pool since I pulled the pucks out with the last test. Should I add anything yet and if so what, I have the pool calculator app but am a little confused. I'm ready to ditch the pucks and go with bleach but I'm not sure how much and how often to add it.

When testing you should drop drops until the color stops changing and then don't count the drop(s) that didn't make the color change.

The only way to know how much to add is by testing and using the Pool Calc. You enter your target numbers in the target column and then you test and enter those numbers in the now column and it'll tell you how much bleach to add. You should test FC and pH daily and the rest monthly. Once your confident with your pool you can use the OTO test daily and the FAS-DPD test weekly.

You'll want to stop using pucks now. CYA at 70 is on the very high end for a manually chlorinated pool. Your current FC level of 8 is pefect for CYA at 70. My advice is to stop using pucks and add enough bleach each evening to maintain FC at 8ppm. Otherwise your numbers look pretty good.

Assuming you'll burn around 2ppm of FC per day, you'll need to add about 1.5quarts of 6% bleach per day...adjust to taste :lol:

I'm assuming your pool is somewhere around 12-13K gallons :goodjob:

We advise pouring it slowly in front of your return jet, while the pump is running and letting the pump run at least another 15-20 mins to mix things up :goodjob:

WTH? So after reading the posts on this thread, and assuming 2 ppm drop per day I added bleach for the first time 6% clorox on Tuesday the 10th, (on May 8th it was FC=8). I was trying to maintain the FC=8 as suggested. It was suggested to put in 1.5 quarts, I put in 1qt just to be a little conservative. The pool looks crystal clear, I've been testing the last few nights using the simple yellow drop test. It has matched the 5/10. So today I wanted a more accurate reading and did the FC, CC and TC. FC is 11, CC is 0 and TC 11. I guess it is good that CC is not zero but why is FC so high?

Your first mistake was assuming you would lose 2ppm per day. The only way to know how much you lose is to test often enough to know your pool.

So now you can cut down on the amount of chlorine you add each day.

I tested with the FAS-DPD every day for about 2 months until I learned my pool. I now know what a cloudy day, a pool party, A sunny day, A thunderstorm, etc. will do to my pool.

melissab said:
WTH? So after reading the posts on this thread, and assuming 2 ppm drop per day I added bleach for the first time 6% clorox on Tuesday the 10th, (on May 8th it was FC=8). I was trying to maintain the FC=8 as suggested. It was suggested to put in 1.5 quarts, I put in 1qt just to be a little conservative. The pool looks crystal clear, I've been testing the last few nights using the simple yellow drop test. It has matched the 5/10. So today I wanted a more accurate reading and did the FC, CC and TC. FC is 11, CC is 0 and TC 11. I guess it is good that CC is not zero but why is FC so high?
A 2ppm loss per day is a guestimation... Each pool has it's own character or personality. Your pool might loose less than 2ppm due to high cya or less direct sunlight or other circumstances

Bama Rambler said:
Your first mistake was assuming you would lose 2ppm per day. The only way to know how much you lose is to test often enough to know your pool.

So now you can cut down on the amount of chlorine you add each day.

I tested with the FAS-DPD every day for about 2 months until I learned my pool. I now know what a cloudy day, a pool party, A sunny day, A thunderstorm, etc. will do to my pool.

That is what I figure now. I'll just use the FAS-DPD everyday until I see how much chlorine I will lose daily.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.