Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Loose Flagstone Coping

1. Back To Top    #1

Loose Flagstone Coping

Hello. I hope this is right forum. I have a loose coping piece. I would like to repair it myself. Do I just chisel the old mortar odd and then reset the it with new mortar? Is there any particular mortar to use? Are there any tips to minimize the mess so I can make the repair the without draining the entire pool? Thank you in advance.

approximately 14,000 gallon polygonal pool. Pentair SWCG, Pentair VS, Pentair cartridge filter, Fafco Solar Panels, and a Pentair Legend pool sweep.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Loose Flagstone Coping

Thats about right. Just use regular mortor, just mix it a litte richer than normal (a little less sand, more sticky stuff).
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

3. Back To Top    #3

You can certainly do it without draining your pool. You simply chisel or cut the existing mortar out. Use TypeS mortar with a bonding agent. There will certainly be dirt going into the pool, but you could use some various methods to avoid a real mess in the pool. I would float something with a tarp or plastic around where you work, but you'll still get pieces in the pool that you'll have to clean up.
    18 x 36 Inground Gunnite, White Plaster 21K gallon
    18" raised spa, 8' Diameter (620 gallon)
    Triton II Sand filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG
    Pentair Pump, Max-E-Therm 400 BTU
    Lamotte ColorQ PRO 7-Plus test kit
    TFT-100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you for the information. Unless I am oversimplifying this, it is just like laying a brick or tile, right?
    approximately 14,000 gallon polygonal pool. Pentair SWCG, Pentair VS, Pentair cartridge filter, Fafco Solar Panels, and a Pentair Legend pool sweep.

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes, lay on the bed of mortar. Let it dry. Grout seem next day.
    TFT-100 test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by XsAllOverIt
    Yes, lay on the bed of mortar. Let it dry. Grout seem next day.
    Awesome. TypeS mortar and any particular grout?

7. Back To Top    #7

On my pool, they used the TypeS mortar. On my hot tub, I definitely used the mortar.
    You have to find what matches your tile. The mortar may be what they used.
    TFT-100 test kit

8. Back To Top    #8

When you mortor the joints, use a grout bag. They look like cake frosting bags. Just fill it up and use the tip to put mortor into the joint. works great.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

9. Back To Top    #9

bk406, Thank you for the tip. If I am using mortar for both the bottom and the joints, should I set the joints when the bottom is still wet?

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by shay1208
    bk406, Thank you for the tip. If I am using mortar for both the bottom and the joints, should I set the joints when the bottom is still wet?
    I would wait until the bottom sets up, then do it. Pro's can do the joints before the bottm sets, but a DYI'er like me or you, wait.

11. Back To Top    #11

bk406, point taken. Thank you again.

12. Back To Top    #12

I would use a diamond tile saw blade to cut out the mortar. If the stone has old mortar on the bottom, you can use the diamond blade to cut parallel cuts in the mortar in two directions to make the mortar easier to remove without damaging the stone. You can do the same thing on any mortar that is left on the bond beam. Wet the stone and the bond beam before applying the mortar, or the stone and bond beam will suck the water out of the mortar and you won't get a good bond.

13. Back To Top    #13

Unless you know what your really doing with a saw, go the chisel route. More control over what you're doing and you can go slower. Just my opinion.