new products?

May 1, 2008
Has anyone used a product called "Green to Clean" which is supposed to accelerate the cleansing effects of chlorine. Also a powdery substance that can be used as a filtering agent instead of DE; but not mixed. I'm told it's more effective, lighter and bio-degradable.? I'm sorry I don't have the name but it's sold by Leslies. Any wisdom please. Thanks again.

We don't recommend Green to Clean. It is designed to kill algae when you have an extremely high CYA level. It works at doing that, but has various possible complications that make it anything but trouble free. Also, if you do have a high CYA level, it is far better to lower the CYA level, which will just cause further problems, rather than bothering with special products that cost extra. Assuming your CYA level is reasonable, there are much simpler ways to kill algae than using Green To Clean.

There are various brands of wood fiber based DE substitutes. They work well for the most part. Some people say that they don't backwash as well, others that they backwash better than DE. Just about everyone agrees that they filter just as well.

Now a sequal to my inquiry. Green to clean did no such thing! Was promised a sparkling pool in 48 hours. Still somewhat green water. Also used the new filter material; a disaster! Started with a chemically cleaned filter. Could not get a good backwash, pressure would not reduce enough. Starting pressure was 15lbs. Took the thing apart and found a glue like substance covering the grids. I washed the filter as throughly as I could (told this would do) it didn't. Took it apart again and had it chemically cleaned (expensive since it took two containers of cleaner) and went back to DE.There is more follow-up to this story which I will ask later.Maybe its me!

I have a Hayward Perflex DE filter, and was considering one of these DE substitutes last year, so I wrote to Hayward regarding the use of this sustitute, and recieved back a fairly strongly worded letter saying that they do not endorse the use of any DE substitute in their Perflex series filters. As I recall it had a statement at the bottom something along the lines of that Hayward continues to test these substitutes, but as of yet they have not found one that they can endorse, although this may change in the future....

Ike

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.