Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Running a water line from a Irrigation line?

1. Back To Top    #1

Running a water line from a Irrigation line?

I'm considering running water to my pool house and looking for the best (inexpensive) way to do. I'm thinking of tapping into my sprinkler supply line coming out of the house and running it that way. It would be with Pex tubing and I'd have the PB run it before the deck is poured. I could blow the line out with the sprinklers to avoid freezing during the winter. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks!
    18x43x28, 32K gal, True L Vinyl IG
    DE Filter, 1.5 HP Pump, Heat Pump, IC40 SWG, Pentair Easytouch, Dolphin Supreme M4

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Running a water line from a Irrigation line?

if you have any water treatments (filter, softener, etc) they are frequently bypassed for irrigation lines- this would mean the pool house would not have the benefits of these items
    24ft x 52in AGP 18000 gal
    sand filter, 200#,1.5 hp single speed pump
    Wood deck (still in progress...)

3. Back To Top    #3

What are you going to use the water for? Is this for a potential potable water source for your pool house? Sometimes fertilizer, pesticides, herbicides , etc can get back into the irrigation lines. Thats why a backflow preventer is put between the irrigation system and the house.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

4. Back To Top    #4

It would be for filling the pool, possible toilet in the poolhouse. I was going to tap into the supply line that the backflow preventor is on.
    DE Filter, 1.5 HP Pump, Heat Pump, IC40 SWG, Pentair Easytouch, Dolphin Supreme M4

5. Back To Top    #5

Just for pool and a toilet, I see no issues- just branch in before the backflow preventer, so you don't run into issues like bk406 stated...
    24ft x 52in AGP 18000 gal
    sand filter, 200#,1.5 hp single speed pump
    Wood deck (still in progress...)

6. Back To Top    #6

All my hydrants, including the one by the pool, are run from my irrigation meter. I have several double check valves throughout to prevent backflow.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Newpool2011
    It would be for filling the pool, possible toilet in the poolhouse. I was going to tap into the supply line that the backflow preventor is on.
    That'll work. Is your supply line you're tapping into PEX or copper?
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

8. Back To Top    #8

It is copper.

9. Back To Top    #9

Mine are all copper as well.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!