? about water depth of Intex metal frame pool 48"

May 7, 2011
Hi

I was wondering if anyone knows what the minimum depth a 48" pool can be? I'm assuming that anything over the filter intake would be fine...is this true? Does anyone know the depth of the filter intake? I can actually buy the 48" pool for cheaper than the 42" pool, but I really want the water to be around 36 to 38 inches, until my kids grow a little taller. Thank you in advance for your reply!!

Hi mapoolgirl! :wave: Welcome to TFP.

The water height should be just above the suction line and you will be fine. You don't want to let the pump suck in any air because it could cause the pump to over heat and die. Just like what madwil said if you have to go lower than what the skimmer will allow then an extension will need to be made.

:cheers:

Thanks for the replies! Do you think it would be better to get the 48" pool and keep it around 36 inches or get the 42" and have that at 36"? I can get the 42" for $300 or the 48" for $250. 36" is the perfect height for my kids right now...but I don't know if I would be better off in the future to have a pool that gets deeper than 36"( that's the max depth of the 42" pool) What do you think?

We are also looking at Intex 42" versus 48" height. We would need to underfill the 48" pool such that water depth would be max of 37". Just wanted to follow up on this message to see whether anyone has done this with success (or encountered problems)?

Thanks!

I left my 48" deep up over winter. Lowered the water to below the return. Plugged the intakes. I didn't measure but I assume it's around 36-37. I can measure later. Of course we haven't been swimming but structurally it seems fine. Haven't noticed any legs moving or shifting

Hey sorry about the late post here. Last summer I ran my 24' at 38" height due my middle 6 year old daughter so she could touch. I was able to get away with this due I installed main drains in the floor for suction and used the factory suction port as a return. I could not vacuum or skim the surface, it worked fine, I brushed a lot to clean the floor but it was a little dirty.

This year I'm putting a Hayward skimmer in and filling it full.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.