I'd like for one of the board "gurus" to respond to what I'm about to say.
I've had a situation in which I've shocked the pool. I TOTALLY agree that shock level should be maintained until the pool passes the overnite drop test AND CC level is .5 or less. BUT.........as long as the water is clearing and is just "cloudy"........I don't necessarily see the point in holding shock level values until the pool is totally clear. Especially when the OP has a sand filter like I do which we all know can take a few days to strain all the cloudiness, milkiness, dead algae and such.