Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: stuff on the walls...

1. Back To Top    #1

stuff on the walls...

hello all,

so this year during about a two week period after I opened the pool, my SWG cell died and i had it replaced. during that period i was just dropping chlorine tabs into my skimmer, and the mineral level was around 1700.
    so also during this time a brown-ish tinted color started to appear around the upper foot along the walls and some on the floor (the pool is in-ground plaster).
    The water is now fully mineral-ed (3100) and the last time i tested it all the levels were within normal ranges...and frankly the brown color has not gotten any worse.

So my question is, what is that and how do i get rid of it? is it "scale"? I have some de-scaler i can add to the water, but i just want to make sure that is really what it is first before i go dumping more chemicals in there. I don't believe it's algae because i really cannot scrub it off with the metal brush at all...

I should also note that in the hot-tub section of the pool, where the water is being circulated by jets constantly, all of the "scale" that was there early in the pool opening time is gone and it looks perfect...

any insight is appreciated!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: stuff on the walls...

Welcome to TFP!

To get the best advice possible I would post a complete set of your pool numbers.

FC
    CC
    PH
    CH
    TA
    CYA
    Salt

P.S. Updateing your signature with your pool specs would help also.

Mark Crook
    13,500 Gallon 24' x 52" Intex Ultra Frame
    Intex Sand Filter and Pump, Intex SWG (All hard PVC plumbed)
    TFTestKit-100---Pool School---The Pool Calculator
    Location: Copperas Cove, Texas --- My Pool Build---Useful Links for Intex Pool Owners

3. Back To Top    #3

How did you determine the "mineral" level and exactly what minerals does that consist of?

For us to help you figure out if it's scaling or not you need to post a full set of test results and how you got them.
    pH
    FC
    CC
    TA
    CH
    CYA

You should read through Pool School and learn how to take care of you pool properly.

Did the tablets you used contain copper algaecide? A lot of them now do.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

mineral level comes from the readout on my BioGuard system...consisting of mineral springs beginnings and renewals

ill get water test results posted later, dont have them in front of me right now

5. Back To Top    #5

If you look at the MSDS for Beginnings, it's salt.

You still need to find out what the tablets you used contained too.

You should spend a little time reading Pool School and I think you'll find taking care of your pool a lot easier and less expensive. I recommend you buy your own test kit and get the drop salt test and a Speedstir while you're at it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit