Umbrella pole material choice with salt water pool

AllenA

Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
May 1, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Hi All,

I have an umbrella sleeve in my new pool's baja and now that it's time to use the pool, I just realized that putting a pole in there might not be the best idea due to the obvious reason; corrosion. My concern is of course not the pole itself but the pool and it's chemistry. This is of course related to aluminum based umbrella poles as they are the most common ones. I know about the swelling problems with wooden based umbrella poles and would not use them of course. I also don't like the look. Anyway, back to aluminum, I read that it is not an issue to use aluminum in non salt based pools. And I read that it might be controllable in salt based pools if chemistry is kept in balance. But I also read about horror stories with aluminum based pool stairs which are rusting for some folks. I also read about different types of aluminum grades such as the ones used for boats but I am pretty sure that umbrella poles are not using such grades.

I found some umbrellas from Ace Evert which claim they are "Rust- free 'Powder -Coasted' Aluminum pole and ribs" but I am still wondering if they can handle water which has salt in it. I sent them an email with no reply so far. Will post their answer if I get it.
I also found a pole protector type of sleeve which would prevent the bottom of the pole to touch the water but that was just 15" long and my baja is 18" deep. I also don't know how and if it would work with my existing sleeve.
I thought about making my own sleeve using pvc but that might just look really ugly and may not completely be waterproof thus making it useless.

I would like to know if you have any recommendations or ideas. I also would like to know if you know of any umbrellas with plastic poles or other materials which don't alter the water's chemistry? I read that some exist but can't find anything online other than some extremely expensive commercial grade ones. There must be something out there to cater to salt water pool owners.

Thank you,
Allen

Aluminum, by definition, is rust free... any rust is from other **** in the aluminum.
Aluminum will corrode, but usually a white powder vice red, and usually not as fast as iron...
You can make a sleeve from PVC pipe- find the size that just fits over the pipe, cut however long you want it, and glue an end cap on!

Welcome to TFP!!

I just want to say a little word on the 'powder coat'. It's been my experience that the coating only stays on for 1 season in the area where the rail, etc. is secured :evil:

If I'm reading this correctly, it sounds like the umbrella is mounted in the pool - am I wrong? If I'm right, do you just have a regular anchor cup (like for deck mounted handrails and ladders) in the 'baja' and what is it made of?

There are a lot of savvy folks here and we'll, collectively, get you to a satisfactory solution to this issue :cool:

Thank you madwil.

@waste: Thank you. The pole will go directly into the baja floor into a plastic sleeve. The sleeve is the same type which is used for basketball hoops and volleyball nets (which are usually above ground, in the decking). I am not sure if this is the same type of "cup" as for handrails and ladders however as I have never those. The decking sub had to make sure there was a hole left in the gunite and the pebble installers inserted the sleeve just before they shot it. It looks exactly like this one http://www.poolsupplyunlimited.com/best ... LEEVE/5840.

Thank you for the quick answer :goodjob: (I believe you'll do very well here :cool: )

In a plastic anchor, you should be able to use an uncoated S.S. pole and have no problems. The issue of galvanic corrosion is removed by using plastic cups :) (I HOPE I got that right, I'm not any sort of a chemist :-D )

Disparate metals are the cause of the oxidation that 'locks' S.S. rails into aluminum anchor cups on SWCG pools :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.