Calcium (I think) on the walls

snewo

Jun 7, 2009
An hour NW of Philly
Just curious about this one.....

Everything was balanced when I closed, but I will admit to throwing a bunch of bleach in pretty close to closure, so I suppose that could have driven ph up.

Just opened, pool looks nice, I played around and I'm almost balanced:

FC 3.5
CC <.5
ph 8.2 originally, 1.5 bottle of muriatic later and I'm back to normal -7.6
TA 80
CH 240
CYA - was around 60 when closed, but I'm our of R-013. Pool store reports 40 so take it with a grain of salt.
Salt - 2500 low....need to add to get to 3200

I have what appears to be calcium deposits on the walls....very white sand-like. I've brushed the walls pretty well and my cleaner does a good job of cleaning up until it's weighed down like a stone with these little bits. I have 2 main concerns:

- Did I do something wrong? I was balanced at closing (admittedly on the low end of the CH recommendation) What is the recommendation for next time? This is the third season for the pool in case this is normal.

- What are the allowed ways for me to remove these bits? Fingernails work mostly, but that will be just a bit time consuming. The nylon brush isn't cutting it. I would think pumice stone would be too soft. How about a hard piece of plastic? I'm game as long as it doesn't hurt the plaster.

Looking forward to hearing the answers....thanks in advance!

Snewo

What was your CH level when you closed? CH is just a little low now. For calcium to have deposited on the walls, it must have been higher when you closed?

You can get a brush with mixed stainless steel and nylon bristles. That should help get the calcium bits off the walls.

JasonLion said:
What was your CH level when you closed? CH is just a little low now. For calcium to have deposited on the walls, it must have been higher when you closed?

You can get a brush with mixed stainless steel and nylon bristles. That should help get the calcium bits off the walls.

My last reading was 275. There was no way I was over 350. Interesting, I wasn't thinking that it deposited on the walls, I figured it leeched from the walls. Just for clarification, the deposits I'm talking about make the formerly smooth wall feel like sand paper.

So the stainless steel and nylon brush won't hurt the plaster? Do I brush normally or should I be a tad gentler?

Snewo

Letting the pH get too high was the biggest issue and, yes, it has deposited on the walls not leeched out from them.

I think I would CAREFULLY lower pH down to 6.8 and hold it right at that level while cleaning and brushing. That will probably assist in returning the calcium to solution (may even negate any need to add more)

If your cleaner is picking some of it up, I think it'll come off easily enough.

The mixed stainless steel and nylon brush is just fine to use once the plaster is more than a year old. You don't need to be cautious with it except around fittings (return jet, drain, skimmer), which can be cosmetically scratched though not really damaged.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.