Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Pool to me. My First test results

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pool to me. My First test results

Hello,
    Got my first water sample and test results. I'm pretty happy overall but have some concerns. Using a Taylor 2006 test kit.

CYA = 100+ (The black dot wasn't visible between the 1/2 way from the bottom to the 100. So its very high!
    PH=7.8
    FC=11.6 (58 drops X .2) CC=.2 TC=11.8
    TA=160
    CH=450

It took me about an hour or so to run the sample after I pulled it from the pool. I'm concerned about the CYA being so high. Should I do a 1/2 drain or such. I don't know the history of the pool maintenance.

If you recommend a pool drain how should I go about it. I have a cartridge filter so there is no waste setting. I haven't seen a drain faucet on the piping, but will figure it out. Should I drain down to the skimmer level then fill or get a little sump pump, put in in the shallow end drain down to the bottom stair and then refill?

Thanks.

Updated Located in Central Florida (Lakeland)
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Pool to me. My First test results

Where are you located? A drain and fill will work, but I'm afraid you'll need at least 50% of the water replaced. Is R/O for pools (reverse osmosis) available in your area?
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

3. Back To Top    #3

In Florida, you should definitely check your ground water level before draining very far. If ground water is an issue, you can do several partial drains and refills.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

OK.. I think I'm going to bite the bullet and do a drain and fill. Checked the internet and there are not R/O services listed in my area. Water here is pretty cheap overall I think. $5 per 1000 gallons or so. (For both incoming and outgoing). We're planning on adding a SWCG shortly. So I'd like to get down to CYA of 80 as the max.

Draining the pool I think I'm going to put a hose with fill water to the bottom of the deep end and then pump from either the skimmer and pool pump or get a sump pump at the stairs shallow end.

I'll post some pictures. (also need to clean the cartridge filter)
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

5. Back To Top    #5

That sounds like a plan, assuming your fill water is colder than your pool water it will tend to sink to the bottom, if you only draw filter water from the skimmer it will not mix as much. If your fill water is warmer than the pool water then you want to drain from the deep part.

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~