Next step?

onewomanarmy

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 8, 2011
So I've got the pool open and have been working on getting everything clear and balanced and ready for some swimming. Have an Autopilot SWG on the way.

My numbers so far (I've not yet managed both ends of the overnight FC test yet :rant: ) -

FC ~28 (I was still having some cloudiness, though my CC has been 0.0 for several days, went ahead and added some more chlorine yesterday to try to tackle whatever was causing cloudiness. I know, given my high CYA, that I needed a much higher shock level. This number is about 24 hours and a full day of sun after my last chlorine addition.)

CC 0.0 (haven't had any cc for several days)

TA ~60 (since we are going to SWG and given what I've read here, I was planning on keeping this in the 60-70 range so haven't been doing a whole lot with this)

PH 7.5

CYA 95-100 (I have done the 50/50 test so this should be accurate. I understand that the CYA should be higher for SWG, and we are full sun, so I plan on keeping this around 80-85. Was hoping to have this down more with the help of mother nature but wouldn't you know, once I opened the pool the 5-6 inches of rain per week stopped. The pool has been cholorinated for years with a puck chlorinator. I've got that set to "off" but I'm not completely sure it's truly off. I was going to open it up and take out whatever is left in there but I can't get the lid off without getting a face full of gas so I've been avoiding opening that darn thing.)

Salt 360 (haven't added any yet)

Am I headed in the right direction? Was going to start adding salt soon, but will probably drain some water off and add some new to try to bring the CYA down a bit before adding salt. Do I need to wait til my FC drops before I start adding salt? Given my CCs have been 0, should I be ok to let the FC start coming down? I'm going to try again tonight to get the overnight reading. Fingers crossed.

The water isn't quite as crystal clear as I think it should be yet, this may be partially due to the filter (we have a new filter to install but are waiting for SWG to do all at once). Not sure it's cleaning it's best and think maybe a lateral is broken as we've had a little sand in the pool under returns. Combine that with a lot of junk finding it's way to the pool (dust from landscaping projects, leaves, pine needles, worms, pollen, bugs) and I'm hoping that's the reason the water isn't quite as crystal clear as I'd like. I don't think I'd say it's cloudy, just not sparkly clear yet. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'll be wandering through old posts as well to try to find anything helpful.

Thanks! :-D
(oh and Happy Mother's Day! :thequeen: )

You seem to know what you are doing :goodjob:

If the water is clear, you can see the bottom everywhere, then yes you can let the FC level come down, though that will take a while :)

You can add salt any time, except that you lose some if you subsequently drain. Salt has nothing to do with the FC level.

Sand filters can take a while to get the water completely clean.

:-D

Yay! Progress! I hadn't really thought about the amount of time it would take a sand filter to clear the water - I may have had unrealistic expectations of how quickly that would happen.

If I know what I'm doing, it's ONLY because I've been reading these boards! I can't tell you how much I've learned here. Very much appreciate all the info and patience here.

Now if only getting the solar cover properly aligned on the reel was so easy... :hammer:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.