Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: ColorQ...sad faces

1. Back To Top    #1

ColorQ...sad faces

Man, I'm really bummed. I've been using a ColorQ Pro 7 for a few months as I put my new pool online and just found out today that it's giving me bogus readings. They may be consistent, but they are waaaaaay off.

It says my PH is 7.3, it's really 8.4 (ouch)
    It says my FC is 1, it's really 3.2
    It says my CH is 150, it's really 130
    It says my ALK is 150, it's really 100

Ironically, the reason I now know this is that I installed a PH probe today (chemlink system), and the initial reading was 8.5. I thought the PH was 7.3, so I figured the probe was DOA. Before I RMA'd it, I got the water tested by the pool store.....and woah...glad I did that.

Amazing that it's so poor. I saw several threads here that recommended the unit (thought peppered with skeptics who I should have listened to).

So now I'm looking for a better test kit...
    38K Gallons IG, Intelliflow VS-SVRS, 30GPM 24/7, 72sqft DE Filter, Spectralight UV, Jandy C1900 driving Liquid Chlorine and Acid (toys, I know..), Jandy LXi gas heater, Aquacal SQ175 Heatpump, Riverflow Competition swimmer, Jandy automation, Touch and iAqualink, Pebblesheen | The Build

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: ColorQ...sad faces

There may be reason to be leery of the pool store too.
    13K Gal., Plaster, SWG, Intellichlor IC 20, Sta-Rite 1 HP Pump, Sta-Rite PLM 300 Filter, Pentair LED, Solar, Screened Enclosure, Great White, TF-100

3. Back To Top    #3

Whaaaa?

Most around here love and recommend the TF100 and the Taylor 2006, both great kits!. But, the TF100 is a better bang for the buck.

We have a Test Kit comparrison in Pool School, too.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly
    Whaaaa?

Most around here love and recommend the TF100 and the Taylor 2006, both great kits!. But, the TF100 is a better bang for the buck.

We have a Test Kit comparrison in Pool School, too.
    The choice is easy...but a week from my doorstep. Do I just buy direct from TFTestkits? Discount codes or anything?
    38K Gallons IG, Intelliflow VS-SVRS, 30GPM 24/7, 72sqft DE Filter, Spectralight UV, Jandy C1900 driving Liquid Chlorine and Acid (toys, I know..), Jandy LXi gas heater, Aquacal SQ175 Heatpump, Riverflow Competition swimmer, Jandy automation, Touch and iAqualink, Pebblesheen | The Build

5. Back To Top    #5

Since you are a TFP lifetime member, if you PM Jasonlion, he should be able to get you a discount code...pretty sure it is $10 off the TF100

www.tftestkits.net
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

6. Back To Top    #6

Just as a note, my ColorQ works well and all the readings are pretty consistent with my TF100 kit. I do tests once a week with the TF100 and about every other day with the ColorQ. pH is always very consistent, Alkalinity is consistent. FC is a little low on the ColorQ, CYA is dead on most of the time and CH is always low on the ColorQ. Been testing with both for over 4 months. Sorry to hear you are having problems. I consistently clean all the tubes with water and follow the instructions pretty religiously with the ColorQ.
    18 x 36 Inground Gunnite, White Plaster 21K gallon
    18" raised spa, 8' Diameter (620 gallon)
    Triton II Sand filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG
    Pentair Pump, Max-E-Therm 400 BTU
    Lamotte ColorQ PRO 7-Plus test kit
    TFT-100 test kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by XsAllOverIt
    Just as a note, my ColorQ works well and all the readings are pretty consistent with my TF100 kit. I do tests once a week with the TF100 and about every other day with the ColorQ. pH is always very consistent, Alkalinity is consistent. FC is a little low on the ColorQ, CYA is dead on most of the time and CH is always low on the ColorQ. Been testing with both for over 4 months. Sorry to hear you are having problems. I consistently clean all the tubes with water and follow the instructions pretty religiously with the ColorQ.
    Do you have the tablet or liquid version?

8. Back To Top    #8

all of mine is liquid reagants except for the CYA - it's a tablet...
    TFT-100 test kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by XsAllOverIt
    all of mine is liquid reagants except for the CYA - it's a tablet...
    I wonder if that is it, mine were all tablets.

10. Back To Top    #10

No, the great majority of ColorQs in the world, both tablet and liquid, give far better results then you are getting. Your PH error is dramatic, while normally the ColorQ is quite good on PH. Either your unit, or the tablets, must be defective in some way.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

I have a ColorQ pro 11 and just purchased new regents. These go bad after a couple of years. Look at the Lamotte web site. All the regents-tabs and liquids have x dates or codes. Also with the tabs I expect more varance due to mixing.

Anyway I plan on getting another test kit TH- or Taylor just to double check. Only got bogus numbers from the pool store.
    25k 20x40 Gunite w/ integrated Spa & Caribbean Blue Plaster, Curved Bluestone Coping, Deck Jets
    Pentair Easy Touch/Wireless, Sta-Rite Intellipro SRVS Pump, Intellibrite Lights, & Pentair IC40 Cell, Sta-Rite 450sf Cartridge filter
    Heated from Central Boiler - Outdoor Wood Furnace & Triangle Tube Max Heat Exchanger
    ColorQ Pro
    TF-100

12. Back To Top    #12

Here are results from last night using both a LaMotte ColorQ and a TFT100 tester:

TFT100
    FCL - 8.5 CC - 0.5 TC - 9.0 ALY - 70 CH - 220 CYA - 52 pH - 7.4 Salt - 3720 (Strip)
    ColorQ
    FCL - 5.34 TC - 5.34 ALY - 45 CH - 180 CYA - 49 pH - 7.5

My chlorine is always higher with the TFT, ALY is always higher and CH is always higher, but from all my results (I record all of them), the results are always consistent, so I use the ColorQ quite regularly and the TFT100 periodically as a confirmation, since the ColorQ is a 5-minute test for me.
    TFT-100 test kit

13. Back To Top    #13

Tested today with both systems, several times each (average).

Chemlink: ORP = 350, PH = 7.5 (calibrated)
    TF100 = FC 2, PH 7.5, TA 120, CH 310
    ColorQ = FC 1.5, PH 6.6, TA 90, CH 200

Since the readings are consistently low, I think the measurement unit is bad on my colorQ

It was faster to use the TF kit to get all 4 readings. The ColorQ offers more precision, but that is little use unless the accuracy is better.