New pool to me, with mods.

Verdog

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 25, 2011
Central Texas
Been lurking around and reading all the wonderful information. My Story:

3 weeks ago I was offered an Intex 18x48 metal frame pool free and I couldn't turn it down. I was hesitant to get a temporary pool, but the family loves it, along with every kid in the neighborhood.

I started by leveling the ground(~9" off level) with a small bobcat, and used concrete pavers to get an exact level on the legs. I ended up having all them within 1/4". I put down 1/2' of sand wetted and tamped, a layer of 1/2' foam insulation followed by a Gorilla pad. My goal is to leave the pool up year round and winterize it for the 3 months of "winter" we have here in Texas.

Modifications are a true skimmer, better ladder, light and removable fountain for the brutal heat in the summer.

Obligatory Pics!
050811086.jpg

050811067.jpg

050811065.jpg

After playing with dip strips and a cheap test kit(Taylor kit on schedule for next weekend should have followed that advise), I had the local PS do a computerized analysis....

FC 1.2
TC 1.2
CC 0.0
TA 198
pH 7.9
CH 256
CYA 8
Copper 0
Iron 0
Total Dissolved Solids 3000 - Salt?
Saturation Index .63

I added 16oz of Muriatic acid per the pool calc to start working on the pH and TA. I am going to add stabilizer tonight after the kids play and I vacuum and backwash.

Congratulations!

It look like you are on the right track. Raise the CYA level, remembering that FC will need to come up as CYA comes up. Work on getting TA down, but no need to be in a rush on that. I wouldn't really trust the TDS number from the pool store. Those meters tend to drift out of calibration fairly badly. Who knows if they have been calibrating it or not.

Congratulations and welcome to the forum :wave:

Looks like your yard is full of fun kid stuff! If they get too hot bouncing on the trampoline, they can take a refreshing dip in your pool! :-D

...........and you got a fountain, already! :shock: :goodjob:

Thanks! :-D

I used the sock method I read somewhere on here for adding the CYA, and WOW 2 pounds dissolved in one night vs sweeping the floor daily.

The pH dropped to 7.4 with the acid, so I put the fountain up to get it back to 7.8 then will hit it again with more acid.

I don't want to do too much until I have my own REAL test kit.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.