New pool starting this month..I could use some help

Apr 28, 2011
As soon as i finalize the parts and pieces I will be building an 18 x 36 vinyl IGP. I need to get going so i can get the landscaping and yard in, so any help is very much appreciated. Easy part was deciding on steel walls with a step all the way across on the shallow end under the liner. The pool will also have an integrated automatic cover. I plan on sub contracting a few things out like the poolkrete and the liner, but should be ok with the rest.

The pool overlooks a lake with prevailing winds from the west-northwest and has the shallow end facing due north. There are trees around and kids tracking in sand from the lake is inevitable. we are located in northwest lower Michigan so considerations for snow/freezing temps in the winter must be made.

I/we have decided on the following (truthfully not much):

2-pentair intellibrite 5 g with controller-lights facing way from the house
Automatic Pool Covers autocover-opinions here are welcome but the kit from Royalswimmingpools.com includes that brand
Pentair Clean and Clear Plus Cartridge Filter - 420 SQ
2" piping- probably schedule 40 hard pipe. Could use help with layout of the plumbing in general but especially the skimmers/returns.
Concrete deck
Some sort of winter cover

We want:

2-speed pump-brand/size ?
Salt water generator-brand/size ?-any special bonding or other precautions necessary to prevent corrosion to equipment or the pool shell itself
Heat pump heater- brand/size ?- we are on propane so a gas heater is out the question
Robotic cleaner?- not sure if this is necessary or desirable- looking to save time like everyone else
autofill-brand/size ?
3-laminar flow/LED fountains-brand/size ? These can be added later

I am sure I am missing a few items so feel free to chime in. I am looking to order the kit this week so any help is appreciated.

Thx
Ian

Re: I could use some help choosing the equipment and ...

Welcome to TFP!

Automatic pool covers are wonderful things, just keep in mind that they tend to require maintenance and can end up being fairly expensive over time.

The best pump to get depends on several things, including exactly what water features you have, and what your electric rates are.

There are many good choices of SWG. Are you getting an automation system? There are often advantages to getting a SWG that integrates with your automation system.

Robotic cleaners are very nice to have, certainly not required.

Re: I could use some help choosing the equipment and ...

Thanks for the quick reply. I have been lurking for a year or so while we built the home, but now it is landscape time so I have to pick up my pace a little. The weather has been fairly dismal this spring as far as outside work goes so I wasn't too ambitious...

Our electric rates are $.11/kwh, so not too bad.

I guess I didn't realize you could have a salt water pool without some sort of automation so I would need a recommendation for that whole system.

Robot cleaner seam like a minor cost in the scheme of things and like the automation of the chemicals will help reduce time spent on maintenance ( I could b wrong). Here I don't need the lastest and greatest with tons of bells and whistles, just good solid performance.

Again thanks for any and all recommendations.

Bryantch;
We want:

2-speed pump-brand/size ?
Royal has a good deal one a 2 speed upgrade, for most kits it's a $50 upgrade to a Speck (or Astral) 2 speed. I don't have mine running yet but it sounds like the right sizing.

Salt water generator-brand/size ?-any special bonding or other precautions necessary to prevent corrosion to equipment or the pool shell itself.
I went with the Hayward Aqua Plus, it is a good SWG with controls/timers for pump , lights and valves. Upgradeable to wired or wireless remote control of everything. Royal includes some different (stainless instead of brass I believe?) rope attach lugs. The SWG should also be bonded just like any pump, timer or metal part connected to pool.

Heat pump heater- brand/size ?- we are on propane so a gas heater is out the question.
Personally I'm eventually going w/ solar, so far I'm just planning for it in our plumbing design.

Robotic cleaner?- not sure if this is necessary or desirable- looking to save time like everyone else
From what I read Poolvergnuegen "ThePoolCleaner" seems to be the best bang for the buck. The type cleaner you need mainly depends on your size pool and type debris encountered.

autofill-brand/size ?
I'm looking too, I heard Letro is good.

3-laminar flow/LED fountains-brand/size ? These can be added later
Looking also. The main thing is to plumb out and run wiring conduit where you might want to add anything like this or a water fall/feature.

Best of luck,
Keep us posted,
John

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.