Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Plugging a hole in PVC pipe

1. Back To Top    #1

Plugging a hole in PVC pipe

I'm contemplating moving some connections for the LQ around. I want to try putting the suction tube into the drain plug opening In the pump but this will leave me with a hole in the suction pipe between the pump and the valve that switches from the skimmer to the cleaner. Any ideas short of cutting and patching the pipe with a fitting etc? I have a dear mr pool builder pad so that option is not very appealing...
    15,600 Gallon, 16' x 32' In-Ground Vinyl Pool
    Pentair VS 3050 pump, Quad DE 60 filter and SunTouch controller
    8 gallon Liquidator, Aquatherm EcoSun Solar Panels, 2 wheel ThePoolCleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Plugging a hole in PVC pipe

You can simply cut the LQ hose up near the PVC and insert a barbed plug into the hose. I did that with mine for a while and it was so unprofessional looking I considered building a birdhouse (or something) around it so people wouldn't see it.

I finally did it correctly and neatly with a PVC coupling....took me about twenty minutes!!
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

There are "patches" available for PVC- or you can even make one, depending on the size pipe you have;
    the patches are 2 pieces that wrap around the pipe, with a rubber gasket, then a screw to hold together.
    You can do your own by cutting a coupling lengthwise, then glue on to outer shell...
    but, as duraleigh points out, the actualy cut and install normal coupling shouldn't take long... and much more professional appearance!
    24ft x 52in AGP 18000 gal
    sand filter, 200#,1.5 hp single speed pump
    Wood deck (still in progress...)

4. Back To Top    #4

You could tap the hole and thread a plug in it. That doesn't look too bad.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Almost anything will plug a hole on the suction side. If you think you might ever use that hole again, you can use several things as plugs. Hot glue, caulk or plumbers sealer will all seal the hole and prevent air leaks plus they can be removed at any time. My preference is hot glue since the drying time is very short.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

6. Back To Top    #6

You can also use an irrigation clamp connector with a plastic bolt in it.
    Self built 5500 gallon bare concrete (temporarily) pool with limestone coping, Pentair Swimmey 1/2 HP pump, Triton sand filter with DE, Simpool peristaltic muriatic acid pump with pH sensor and Monarch SWG. Home made solar heater with Pentair Compool control panel and 3 way valve. 1 skimmer, 1 main drain, 2 returns, 2" plumbing, Hayward auto fill valve.

7. Back To Top    #7

I have several holes in my PVC plugged... Save those bad/failed Jandy/Pentair/Compool/Hayward temperature sensors - they fit perfectly!
    ~45Kg Pool with attached Spa, NSP-72 DE, Minmax 400 Heater, Tahoe Blue Pebbletech, Jandy SWG via Aqualink RS-8, The Pool Cleaner (black)
    Pumps: X3 Hybrid Pump (switches to SPA), 2HP Spa (additional, when SPA is on), and a 1HP For Waterfall
    8, 4x12 Solar Panels on the roof of the pool-house (~12' up)
    CAPTAIN JAMES T. KIRK: "I'M SORRY. I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF HOW AWESOME I AM" (Thanks to TFP!)

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    You can simply cut the LQ hose up near the PVC and insert a barbed plug into the hose.
    This will be my temporary solution. A permanent PVC coupling is not ideal if I ever need to do any other work in this area.

I like the threaded plug idea - I could match the thread type for the pump plug and then the connector for the LQ could work in either spot.

Where do you find a patch for a 2" pipe? I've seen a shark bite thing at HD but that was for smaller pipes. Making one sounds easy enough actually - any specific kind of rubber to use for the gasket?

Thanks all!
    15,600 Gallon, 16' x 32' In-Ground Vinyl Pool
    Pentair VS 3050 pump, Quad DE 60 filter and SunTouch controller
    8 gallon Liquidator, Aquatherm EcoSun Solar Panels, 2 wheel ThePoolCleaner

9. Back To Top    #9

pretty much any rubber will do- if it is 2 in pipe, you can make a patch with a 6-8 in long 2 1/2 in pipe, line with 1/8 - 1/4 in thick rubber... (I'd use 1/8 in, wrap around pipe twice, then clamp 2 halves of 2 1/2 in pipe around it...)
    24ft x 52in AGP 18000 gal
    sand filter, 200#,1.5 hp single speed pump
    Wood deck (still in progress...)