CYA -what to believe?

Bobba

May 7, 2011
I have been using the methods here for approx. 3 years with pretty good success. I have been running a CYA level of about 35-40 and decided to bump it up a bit for the intese summer sun here in Mesa, AZ. Using my older Taylor test kit I read 0 levels even after adding 2.5 lbs. of CYA. I then took a water sample to Paddock Pools and they confirmed a 0 level. Then I took water samples to 3 nearby Leslies Pool Stores and all 3 read levels between 60 and 80! Then I ordered a TF-100 kit and it reads 0 CYA. All other parameters are good except CH which is over 1300. It's too hot to drain and fill so I may have to live with that until fall. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Pool is 13,760 gallons. I have another 2.5 lbs of CYA that I might dump i just to see if I get anything on the new test kit. Since I will probably be doing an aggressive backwashing schedule in an attempt to lower the CH, if CYA is high, I will be dropping it also. There is a local company here that does RO treatments but they have not responded to my free estimate request. Anyone have a ballpark figure on RO treatment vs complete drain and fill?

Well, just out of frustration I ran 2 more CYA tests before adding any more. I actually think I got the dot to disappear at about 50 or 60. I did the shake for 30, wait 30, shake 30, test method with the light coming from behind me. I will try again in a day or 2. Any input on my drain and fill vs RO treatment choice would still be appreciated!

When doing the CYA test, if the water is cold, bring the water sample inside and let it warm up to room temperature first.

RO prices vary from place to place. Typically they are at least somewhat competitive with a drain and refill using municipal water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.