Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Stuck pump basket

1. Back To Top    #1

Stuck pump basket

Hello! My pump strainer basket is stuck! I've never had this happen before. It doesn't look like it's a problem that's been posted before, so I guess it's not common. Does anyone have any suggestions? We tried prying it out and twisting it out, but no success. Thanks!
    17,000 gal. 28 ft. round AG doughboy, about 15 years old. 1.5HP Hayward pump, Doughboy Silica II filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Stuck pump basket

This happens to mine all the time and really pisses me off. I just step back, take a deep breath, and try again. Eventually it comes out. Mine is plastic in a metal casing so it's easy to get a bit twisted and jammed.

3. Back To Top    #3

Does it look like it is full of debris?
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

It was very full. (I'm working on a swamp right now ) I've scooped and flushed most of the debris out.
    17,000 gal. 28 ft. round AG doughboy, about 15 years old. 1.5HP Hayward pump, Doughboy Silica II filter.

5. Back To Top    #5

Is the basket still stuck?
    TFP Moderator
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes, it is till stuck. I should explain that my work on the pool is on hold for a few days, while I wait on testing supplies. I can still use the pump, since I can get most of the debris out of it, so eventually my husband will have to take a look at it and see if he can get the basket out.

7. Back To Top    #7

Try to feel the bottom and sides of the basket to see if there are any cracks in the structure.
    TFP Moderator
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

Dont turn it with a lever..

Mine was stuck untill I inserted a lacrosse stick to get more leverage. I cracked the pump housing basket! I was trying to prime my pump for initial start up last night. To fix it temporarily I have coated it with pvc glue. This mourning it did start up and didnt leak visably, but I turned it off due to the fact I want to be there when it is running for now.

I am trying to loacate a pump housing for my pentair pinnacle 1 hp model # 342854 but cant find any.

Where is the best place to buy pumps??
    Kply
    35,000 In-Ground Concrete/Plaster with spillover spa.

9. Back To Top    #9

This place has parts. They are nice folks, they are going to try and help me find a replacement light for my pool Friday. Lucky for me they are only about a mile from my house! I think they do free shipping on most orders, too.

http://www.poolplaza.com/C-Pentair-Pump-Parts.html
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks and they do have them...

but the cost of a part is $160 ish, plus a new cover $33 so I can actually see into this 5 year old pump. But I may get a new pump, the pinnacle has been replaced by the super flow and they are about $270.

Cant see going for the varable speed pumps they are well over $800 but they claim to be able to save half that in electic and my elec is at about 18 cents -I think. That pump could pay for itself in 2 years - which seems like a great payoff.
    Kply
    35,000 In-Ground Concrete/Plaster with spillover spa.

11. Back To Top    #11

I'm doing that same math right now, to determine if a 2 speed or variable will pay for itself ...
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

12. Back To Top    #12

Thanks to everyone who replied. I got the strainer out finally by sticking a big flat-head screwdriver under the handle and prying until the handle broke through. Then I stood over it and pulled on the two broken pieces twisting and wiggling it till it finally came out. I think I've had more physical activity getting this pool up and running than I had all winter!