Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Just Added Borates

1. Back To Top    #1

Just Added Borates

Followed the instructions in the pool school along with the Pool Calculator iPhone App...couldn't get any easier than that!

The water seemed to "come alive" after I was done...just needed to add a little more acid than what the Pool Calculator app indicated but other than that perfect!

Thanks!
    Pool: 24k, 38' x 19' x 24' Free-form IG Gunite with 24' Infinity Edge and Cantilever coping, SGM Diamond Brite Super Blue Plaster,
    Filter: Hayward C5025 Swim Clear Cartridge Pool Filter - 525 Square Feet
    Main Pool Pump: Hayward TriStar Energy Efficient Pool Pump 1HP - (SP3210EE), Hayward Pool Cleaner Booster Pump - 6060
    Infinity Edge Catch Basin Pump: Hayward TriStar Energy Efficient Pool Pump 3HP - (SP3230EE)
    Automation: Aqua Plus 40K Gallon Chlorination and Control - PL-PLUS (SWG)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Just Added Borates

Posts like this are gonna MAKE me do this!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

yeah- meant to get borax while getting chicken for the grill- forgot it!
    24ft x 52in AGP 18000 gal
    sand filter, 200#,1.5 hp single speed pump
    Wood deck (still in progress...)

4. Back To Top    #4

I did have to stop by a total of 4 stores and bought all they had (Walmarts & Targets)...

How long do we all need to wait before swimming though?

Pool: 24k, 38' x 19' x 24' Free-form IG Gunite with 24' Infinity Edge and Cantilever coping, SGM Diamond Brite Super Blue Plaster,
    Main Pool Pump: Hayward TriStar Energy Efficient Pool Pump 1HP - (SP3210EE), Hayward Pool Cleaner Booster Pump - 6060
    Infinity Edge Catch Basin Pump: Hayward TriStar Energy Efficient Pool Pump 3HP - (SP3230EE)

5. Back To Top    #5

WOW, your pool looks amazing

Here's what Jason said in another thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    Wait at least an hour after the borates addition with the pump running, then test the PH. If the PH is between 7.2 and 7.8 you can swim. After 24 hours, test the PH again before swimming. Regardless of what the PH is now, test it again 48 hours after the borate addition and adjust as needed at that point.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes, great looking pool- and the planters turned out well! the color offsets the pool vs trees very nice!
    24ft x 52in AGP 18000 gal
    sand filter, 200#,1.5 hp single speed pump
    Wood deck (still in progress...)

7. Back To Top    #7

How much did you pay for your borax? It's $4 for a 76 oz box at Smart and Final stores in LA, I cleaned out one store this weekend and will get the rest of my stash tomorrow.
    19,500 gallon plaster pool, Kreepy Krauly, IntelliFlo pump, Solar Sun Rings no longer heating the pool now that I have eight 4x12 Heliocol panels on my roof!

8. Back To Top    #8

I will be buying the borax tonight. Just called WalMart and they have 20 Mule Team 76 oz. for $2.98.
    I'll be adding this to my pool as soon as I can get my TA somewhere around where it needs to be...(currently around 200 from years of well water top-off)
    8,700 gallon IG pool (including 2000 gallon spill-over spa), WetEdge Northshore Tahoe (Satin Matrix) finish, Hayward SwimPure Plus T-15, Jandy JXi 260k propane heater, Jandy FloPro 1.5HP 2 speed pump, Jandy CS 150 cartridge filter, TF-100, Borates added, BBB is the way for me!

9. Back To Top    #9

I think I remembered paying somewhere around $4 a couple months ago...

10. Back To Top    #10

Just thought I would report back on having the Borates added a couple weeks ago...

It hasn't really helped the PH drift because I have the infinity edge, BUT I had to reduce my SWG Chlorine setting by 10% because chlorine is definately not being consumed as fast!!!!

11. Back To Top    #11

Adding borates allows you to lower the TA further than you can lower it without borates. If you still have problems with PH rising, try allowing TA to go down to 40 to 50.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

12. Back To Top    #12

One of the first things I did after I got the BBB down pat. Everyone that jumps in always says that when they get out their skin doesn't feel dry or "poolish". Makes the wifey happy, which makes me happy.

13,100 gal (?) IG Plaster Pool, Rectangular (30 feet long, 11 feet wide at 3 feet deep shallow end, 14 feet wide at 6 feet deep end.)
    Pentair Challenger 1hp 2 speed hardwired pump
    Triton II T60 sand filter
    P153 Intermatic digital timer control
    8 gal Liquidator with 3/8" upgrade

13. Back To Top    #13

Well, it's been just over a month now since adding borates. While the algae problem I usually encounter throughout the summer is non-existant, in fact I have yet to shock the pool this summer. All the tests come back within the ranges for a SWG pool.

One thing that has concernced me is that I have a HUGE tiled infinity edge and now when the tiles are dry there is a HUGE white haze on the across all the tiles. Rubbing your finger across them now results in a chalky feel, and no longer slick and smooth. When the water covers the tiles they look normal again, it's only when they are completely dry that the haze returns and it is really noticeable. I'll try and post before and after pictures shortly...

That's the only thing that has changed the last few months as well...

Thanks

14. Back To Top    #14

Post up your latest test results...I'm guessing it may be calcium.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

15. Back To Top    #15

FC = 2
    CC = 0
    TC = 2
    pH = 7.6
    T/A = 80
    CH = 270
    CYA = 40
    Temp = 94 degrees
    Salt = 3400
    Borates = ~45
    CSI = -0.19

Test taken at 7:45pm...

I'll submit pictures shortly...