Clean and Clear Plus, D.E. media required?

I just started up my new Clean and Clear and while reading the manual noted that it recommends DE media .75lb/100 sq.ft. to be added at startup. Needless to say, I don't have any available. A few questions. Is it a problem to add it in a few days? Was starting it w/o the media a big mistake? Does Walmart usually carry this?

Thanks,
Dave

I just set up my Clean and Clear (not plus) as well and saw on the box that it said "DE Element Filter" and not "cartridge filter." However, I was unable to find any info in the manual about adding DE being required or optional.

EDIT- The way I worded this post it sounds as though I was presenting information contradicting the concern of the OP. In reality, I was seconding the concerns of the OP. I was puzzled as to why the box said "DE Element Filter" for a cartridge filter and why there was no mention of DE anywhere in the manual. Any ideas?

You may have just seen the new combined box for EasyClean/Clean and Clear. Pentair does this on a lot of boxes. They have a universal box, and the placement of the box label indicates the model. If the label is in the "Clean and Clean" box, its a cartridge filter. If its in the EasyClean box its a DE Element filter.

There is no need to add DE to a cartridge filter on startup. It can't hurt to get the water really clean on startup, but it is not required.

BriceJohnson said:
You may have just seen the new combined box for EasyClean/Clean and Clear. Pentair does this on a lot of boxes. They have a universal box, and the placement of the box label indicates the model. If the label is in the "Clean and Clean" box, its a cartridge filter. If its in the EasyClean box its a DE Element filter.

There is no need to add DE to a cartridge filter on startup. It can't hurt to get the water really clean on startup, but it is not required.

Brice,

This is a bit confusing. The instruction manual for my Clean and Clear Plus states the following on page 4:

For first time operation on new pools introduce into the system .75 pounds of diatomaceous earth per every
100 square feet of filter area (a one-pound coffee can equals .5 pounds of diatomaceous earth). Mix the diatomite
with water and pour it into the skimmer after the pump is primed and the system is operating. This will enhance
the filtration of your water

I added it last night. The pool has not been used but the filter has been running for a week. I'm assuming that my cartridges were still "clean". Had to but a 25lb bag. Any TPP forum members nearby are welcome to a few pounds...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.