Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Got it filled.... unfortunately sand is blowing into my pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Got it filled.... unfortunately sand is blowing into my pool

Reminding you all that I'm a single mom and don't have a lot of experience "fixing" things. I've called 3 different pool stores and read a lot of info online and it sounds like the problem is probably a broken lateral.... although one store insisted that I needed an entirely new Filter. Anyway, it's a jacuzzi and I only found one place that has the part but they don't service. He did say that if I come in they will show me exactly how to do it but I am not sure I'm capable.

Is this a very difficult procedure? The guy I'm dating said he would do it for me but he has no pool experience.
    Kelly from St. Louis
    27ft AG approx 18,000 gals / Jacuzzi Laser Sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Got it filled.... unfortunately sand is blowing into my

Take the BF with ya' down there, snap a few photos and make some notes. You can handle it. Folks here with experience in that will walk you thru it too.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks! I was really hoping to have someone come out and "diagnose" it but that doesn't seem to be happening. I can't imagine how something got broken inside since I haven't taken anything apart but I can't seem to come up with any other reason that it sand would blow into the pool
    Kelly from St. Louis

4. Back To Top    #4

Fixing a broken lateral in a sand filter is a fairly large project that takes a while and some persistence, but it isn't really difficult. It helps a great deal if you have a shop vac. One risk is that there are a couple of other problems, all much less common, that can have the same symptom.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

any suggestions as to what those other problems might be?
    Kelly from St. Louis

6. Back To Top    #6

Usually sand coming out is a cracked or broken lateral. However, sometimes one of the pipes inside the filter is broken, or there is often a joint in the main vertical pipe and sometimes it can fail to seal correctly, or the laterals can fail to seal correctly to the hub that they attach to.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School