Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CYA seems to be 0

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA seems to be 0

Hey...took cover off..pretty green! Read the post on how to begin handling this and said to test CYA...have a home kit and I did this but the solution stayed clear then entire dripping into the tube with the black dot....what now? I will be getting the screws and pumps going soon and thought I would brush the algae while I wait.

in ground, cement, 19,000 gallon, sand filter...have leftover pool shock (powdered turbo shock) I want to use up and an algaecide
    16,000 gallon, oval, in ground, fiberlass. WhisperFlow WFDS-26, 11/2 horsepower, Triton II Sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CYA seems to be 0

If the solution stayed clear then your CYA level is zero. CYA does go away over the winter sometimes. Once you get the pump running, you should start shocking and start adding CYA.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

So I have to get stabilizer from the pool store right? they say to just dump in the pool but let settle without backwashing for 3-5 days...do I need to put it in a sock? why dont they say to do this?
    16,000 gallon, oval, in ground, fiberlass. WhisperFlow WFDS-26, 11/2 horsepower, Triton II Sand filter

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes, this is just about the only chemical that you have to get from a pool store, or the pool department of a big box store.

There are several ways to add CYA. You can pour it very slowly into the skimmer and not backwash/clean the filter for a week, or put it in a sock or stocking and hang that in front of a return jet and backwash/clean the filter freely.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

I don't know if it would a difference, but you might consider retesting after you turn on the pump and circulate the water for 30 or 40 minutes.

If you put the CYA in sock and hang in front of the return flow, the CYA will dissolve and go into the pool water. If you have to backwash during that time only a little CYA will be lost.

However, if you dump the CYA in a skimmer (not on the bottom of the pool) it will go into the filter and dissolve over time. The problem is if you backwash before it is dissolved, the CYA is flushed out with the dirt that the filter has collected.
    27K gal, IG vinyl, 1.5 HP pump, 24" sand filter, Goldline Aqua Plus SWG

6. Back To Top    #6

My pool "eats" CYA over the winter. I just use 3" tabs until the CYA gets up to 30-40, then I switch to bleach.
    20'x40' / 30,000 Gal / In Ground / Vinyl
    Pentair FNS 48 DE Filter / Pentair Challenger 1.5 HP Pump
    Jandy Lite2 400k BTU Propane Heater / Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    TF-100 Test Kit / BBB
    Creator of SimplePool (BBB Friendly Android App) http://www.simplepool.net

7. Back To Top    #7

TF-100 Results - PLEASE ADVISE!! HELP!!!

FC - 4
    CC- 0
    pH - 7.6
    T/A - 80
    CH - 270
    CYA - 0

Put 4 bags of shock last night after vaccuuming some to backwash and added algaecide (Still SOOO green and Chlorine is nearly 0 on the K-1000 test!

So should I use tabs (which i have) and let CYA go up on its own or go buy stabalizer (pool store closed, does walmart have it?)...so much algae...I will vaccuum to backwash again and add more shock I suppose?

8. Back To Top    #8

Algaecide is really a preventative, doesn't do much very fast killing a bloom. What type of shock did you put in last night? if Cal-Hypo, won't add any CYA...
    You need a little CYA, to help control FC loss to sun, but to kill the algae you just need chlorine, and keep using it til algae is gone, water clear, your pool water keeps FC overnight, and CC is <.5...
    24ft x 52in AGP 18000 gal
    sand filter, 200#,1.5 hp single speed pump
    Wood deck (still in progress...)

9. Back To Top    #9

You should read How To Shock Your Pool in Pool School for the correct procedure for fighting algae.

Adding algaecide often creates more problems than it solves. Stick with chlorine, just make sure to use the correct amount as described in that article.

10. Back To Top    #10

Shock is Cal Hypo but I do have some pucks too..should I put some in the skimmer? I am thinking since I have a sand filter and moved into the house a year ago, the sand filter probably has never been changed....prob going on 5 years (the age of the house)...it is sucking but how do I know if it needs replaced? I am trying to vaccuum to backwash since its so yuck..seem to be clearing a little!

11. Back To Top    #11

Your sand is almost certainly fine. There is no way to be completely sure without looking at it, but sand lasts a good long time unless there is extensive calcium scaling.

Trichlor tablets add CYA, which you need right now, but you need to be careful not to use too much or the CYA level will get too high. Other than that, they tend to dissolve slowly, which makes them no so useful when shocking (you are trying to add a lot of chlorine all at once), still they will help a little just at the moment.

Along similar lines, you don't want to use too much cal-hypo since it adds CH. You will be fine with some more calcium, but only up to a point.

You need to focus on getting some CYA into the pool and making sure you have enough chlorine to finish the job. I suggest getting some standard household bleach (unscented, 6% sodium hypochlorite) as it is easy to get and doesn't add anything you don't want added.

12. Back To Top    #12

will stick to chlorine....but since cya is 0, the shock amounts dont apply..so just adding few bags for now and will check walmart for stabilizer in a bit....pool store closed!

13. Back To Top    #13

will get the bleach too...

14. Back To Top    #14

So I am using bleach now, this morning the pool was MUCH clearer! My dog jumped in when we opened it and was really sick last night, I think he swallowed some nasty water! Better now, so thank God its not parvo or something worse!

Anyways this am FC is 9, CC .5, pH is 7.4, TA is 90 and CYA is still 0...I added stabilizer into the skimmer last night 7pm, how long will it take to show up? I know now I cant backwash for a few days which sucks cuz it needs more cleaning but its OK, it will warm up some and I wont do much cleaning...

15. Back To Top    #15

Don't remeasure your CYA for a week, and don't backflush during that time unless you absolutely have to.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

16. Back To Top    #16

Now pH is 7.2, why is it going down?

17. Back To Top    #17

7.2 is still fine...it may just be the CYA.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

18. Back To Top    #18

So I added a whole thing of stabilizer last sunday and have not backwashed since! Just tested CYA and its maybe 10 or 15..it got at least SOME cloudy this time, where last time it stayed totally clear but I have to clean the pool already! So, canI go ahead with cleaning and will CYA rise on its own or do I need to get more?

19. Back To Top    #19

It has been a whole week, so go ahead and clean the filter.

Adding CYA lowers the PH, which is probably why your PH went down.

How much CYA did you add last week?

Also, it would be nice if you could add some basic pool specs to your signature. Your signature can be edited on the User Control Panel, look for the button near the top left just below the TFP logo.

20. Back To Top    #20

Just cleaned and vaccumed most of the algae up..a bit cloudy again but will hit it with bleach. I added one whole container of CYA since it was 0...I threw away the container but it recommended like 5 ounces per 5000 gallons and was like 16 ounces i think. My pool is 16K i think. I will get specs and add to my signature. pH is back up to like 7.6 so thats ok now and put some pucks in the skimmer basket, wont they help raise CYA now? I am running out of CYA liquid tester, I can just reorder it alone to go with the kit right?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast