Copper Sulphate, how much to use?

Dec 4, 2010
Dont normally use copper sulphate in pools because of staining etc but have a problem pool which is constantly getting algae build up on sides. How much copper sulphate should I use in a standard sized pool?

thanks,
R

I wouldn't use it- the problem with algae building up is indicative of some other problem, like maybe poor circulation or not maintaining high enough FC all the time; resolve the other problem, and the algae will go away!

madwil said:
I wouldn't use it- the problem with algae building up is indicative of some other problem, like maybe poor circulation or not maintaining high enough FC all the time; resolve the other problem, and the algae will go away!

I understand this, the pool has been thoroughly tested etc but every year it starts again, the guy doesnt want to spend money, we think it is algae that has got behind the tilegrouting and is reemerging, he let it go green one year for ages and its never been right since. He's a cheap man so he gets a cheap solution. I just need to know roughly how much copper sulphate to use man.

There will be few , if any, people on this forum that can calculate that for you because, in most people's opinion, it is perhaps cheap but really pretty unacceptable.

Chlorine will cure your customers problem. If he doesn't want to pay you fairly for treating his pool properly, you really don't want to take an unacceptable shortcut because you will lose him anyway when you permanently stain his pool with the copper

If it's a plaster pool, then you run the great risk of staining because the level of copper needed to prevent algae growth is near the level when it stains plaster surfaces, unless you keep the pH lower. At any rate, the products are usually copper sulfate pentahydrate though you'll need to look at the concentration in the ingredients if it comes already diluted in water. To get to 0.4 ppm copper ions in a 10,000 gallon pool, you would need (0.4 mg Cu/liter) * (10000 gallons) * (3.7854 liters / gallon) * (249.7 mg CuSO4•5H2O) / (63.546 mg Cu) * (1 ounce / 28350 mg) = 2.1 ounces weight of copper sulfate pentahydrate.

If you absolutely have to use a supplemental method other than chlorine at the appropriate FC/CYA ratio (shocking first, and then maintaining), then using a weekly algaecide such as PolyQuat 60 instead of copper would avoid metal staining. Even a phosphate remover would avoid staining though might not work if you've got too many organic phosphates in the water.

Is the algae buildup only on the shady side of the pool and is it yellow/mustard and dust-like? We can get rid of that as well, though it requires a higher shock level. Can you tell us the typical FC and CYA level in this problem pool?

Indio,

In light of this earlier post.....
Just started cleaning a new pool and there seems to be evidence of excessive use of Copper Sulphate with blue and purple staining around the pump area and purpleish colour around the water edge.
Should I be worried? What can be done if anything about this staining? Im thinking the pool needs emptying anyhow as in a bit of mess with grouting etc.
Also is it poisonous?
it makes this current thread puzzling......have you changed your mind?

duraleigh said:
Indio,

In light of this earlier post.....
Just started cleaning a new pool and there seems to be evidence of excessive use of Copper Sulphate with blue and purple staining around the pump area and purpleish colour around the water edge.
Should I be worried? What can be done if anything about this staining? Im thinking the pool needs emptying anyhow as in a bit of mess with grouting etc.
Also is it poisonous?
it makes this current thread puzzling......have you changed your mind?

This is my Dads thinking, not mine, we are well aware of the dangers of copper sulphate as re our other post, we got that pool regrouted and looks great now. We dont want to get anywhere near to what happened to that other pool, we have never used full on Copper Sulphate before, just chlorine and quality chlorine+algicide tablets. Also occasionally a product called 'no more problems' a blue liquid which seems to work on problem pools.

indio1919 said:
just chlorine and quality chlorine+algicide tablets. Also occasionally a product called 'no more problems' a blue liquid which seems to work on problem pools.
Usually, "chlorine+algaecide" tablets means Trichlor tabs/pucks that have copper in them, so be careful. Also, "No Mor Problems" is sodium bromide so turns your pool into a bromine pool if you continue to use it regularly. Bromine gets around the high CYA level since it doesn't bind to it, but the fundamental problem is the high CYA level from continued use of stabilized chlorine. By using algaecides, clarifiers, shocking, etc. you are just throwing band-aids that the fundamental problem which is not managing the CYA level and maintaining a constant FC/CYA ratio to prevent algae growth. If you really want to add something to the pool to control algae to some degree, then use either 50 ppm Borates or a weekly PolyQuat 60 algaecide or both. These won't have any side effects of staining or build-up.

I used a quart of Angry Egg just before labor day to clear up a mustard algae pool. It took the whole quart to kill the algae in a 27K gallon in ground vinyl lined but I had to get a quick kill for the holiday. On the plus side I have added bleach very sparingly since and there still is no signs of algae. This stuff was 3%+ copper sulphate.

I know about the staining issues. This would seem like a good end of season treatment before covering the pool however. I won't be getting in there anymore unless it gets real hot.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I used a quart of Angry Egg just before labor day to clear up a mustard algae pool. It took the whole quart to kill the algae in a 27K gallon in ground vinyl lined but I had to get a quick kill for the holiday. On the plus side I have added bleach very sparingly since and there still is no signs of algae. This stuff was 3%+ copper sulphate.

I know about the staining issues. This would seem like a good end of season treatment before covering the pool however. I won't be getting in there anymore unless it gets real hot.
Why not just use chlorine by following the SLAM process to clear up the algae and have 0 worry about staining? :scratch:

Also, please do not dredge up old threads ... start your own thread. Thanks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.